What's new

Hello, new to DE shaving

Hello, my name is Jake and I started DE shaving about 5 weeks ago. I picked up a Feather Popular off of Amazon and watched some youtube videos and have been trying to get a decent shave. I also have a Gillette Tech ball-end razor with no date code that the package looks identical to Mr. Razor's 1947 ball-end Gillette Tech photo with the red, white and blue cardboard box with the clear circle in the top. I have been struggling to get a close shave on my neck. The hairs tend to lay flat against the skin and I can do two or three passes and there are still rough patches.:glare: But I will persevere. I used to get excellent shaves with a Gillette Fusion razor but can not justify the cost of the cartridges. There is lots of information on this website! Keep up the good work.

Hello, my name is Jake and I started DE shaving about 5 weeks ago. I picked up a Feather Popular off of Amazon and watched some youtube videos and have been trying to get a decent shave. I also have a Gillette Tech ball-end razor with no date code that the package looks identical to Mr. Razor's 1947 ball-end Gillette Tech photo with the red, white and blue cardboard box with the clear circle in the top. I have been struggling to get a close shave on my neck. The hairs tend to lay flat against the skin and I can do two or three passes and there are still rough patches.:glare: But I will persevere. I used to get excellent shaves with a Gillette Fusion razor but can not justify the cost of the cartridges. There is lots of information on this website! Keep up the good work.

What is your shave prep like? Proper hydration and technique is vital.

Thanks for the welcomes. Alex2363 - I shave after showering and use either gel or soap and brush depending on my time requirements. Shave WTG 1st and across the grain 2nd. General shave time is 10 min. I never heard of somebody taking 45 min to shave until I found this site. I tried the gillette tech for the first time yesterday and again today and it seemed to cut a little closer than the feather popular. The plan is to continue with the tech for a month and then go from there.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Jake. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Necks can be a real challenge. Follow Alex's advice an also do a beard map so you know 100% which way the grain is.

Good luck and enjoy the shaves!

I had the same problem so I let everything grow out for a day so that I could see exact grain direction on my neck and took some pics with my phone. Now that I see exactly what's going on, I get a smooth shave on my neck. I shave in 5 different directions to get everything. I don't do my whole neck 5 times - I lather my whole neck and just go in whatever direction that area needs(plus touch-ups). I've been doing this for just over a year and can get a great shave - prep to cleanup - in 10 minutes or less, so it is possible once you know exactly what needs to be done, to just get right to business and get on with your day. Enjoy.

Jake, welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined us. There are a few Fusion Burnouts among us. You came to the right place. :thumbup:

I had the same problem so I let everything grow out for a day so that I could see exact grain direction on my neck and took some pics with my phone. Now that I see exactly what's going on, I get a smooth shave on my neck. I shave in 5 different directions to get everything. I don't do my whole neck 5 times - I lather my whole neck and just go in whatever direction that area needs(plus touch-ups). I've been doing this for just over a year and can get a great shave - prep to cleanup - in 10 minutes or less, so it is possible once you know exactly what needs to be done, to just get right to business and get on with your day. Enjoy.

Wow! That's really thorough! I find most places on my neck I can shave up or down. I do four passes; first is WTG generally, but straight down is ATG on my lower neck. I wind up going down on the neck first pass, up the second, down on the third, on the fourth which is my ATG pass I shave up on the upper parts of my neck to the jawline and down on the lower parts. All very careful with angle and no pressure on the razor. I get pretty good results. Very smooth and no irritation. As already mentioned, proper prep and hydration is key also.

Top Bottom