What's new

Spaghetti Squash

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We saw Martha Steward make a Spaghetti squash recipe on TV. It looked fantastic. If you don't know what the squash looks like, it looks like a yellow Mellon. Split that dude right down the middle long ways with a big knife. Scoop all the seeds and yuk out with a spoon. Lather olive oil all over both halves inside and out. Then salt and pepper. Roast in oven at 400 skin side up for 45 to 60 minutes. Poke with a fork to test doneness. Take out and let cool for 15 minutes. Scrape inside flesh with fork, it will look just like spaghetti. Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in large pan. Thrown in 3 tablespoons of butter. Throw in 3 cloves of garlic and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped parsley. Then throw in the spaghetti flesh. Cook for a few minutes in pan then serve. Top with Parmesan cheese. This stuff was dynamite. It is something different. It's something so easy to make and really delicious.

You could also include, bell peppers, black beans, corn or just about any small chopped veggie to the mix or even meat.

Tasty.

Last edited:
SWMBO and I have done this before. We've even tricked my son into eating it by topping with spaghetti sauce! We've taken the short cut though. Stab it thoroughly with a large knife and microwave.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yeah, and the taste of it is not what you think. It has a potato like texture but with a tiny bit of sweetness. I browned some in a pan this morning and got a nice crust just like potato's. Went great inside my breakfast taco.

I love spaghetti squash. I usually roast some garlic in olive oil and then throw in the spaghetti squash with some salt and black pepper. Red pepper flakes make a great addition, but most of my family members are not fans of any level of spiciness, so I usually leave them out.

EDIT: Before doing the above, I roast it like you do. The annoying part is getting those seeds out.

SWMBO (the best cook in our house!) and I really like spaghetti squash. She does ours in the microwave; the prep is pretty much as described in the first post. You have to let it rest (10 minutes, maybe more) after "zapping" or it does not have the correct texture.

I like to roast in oven at 280 for 2 hrs after splitting them in half adding salt pepper a little olive oil.
Then I add sauce some cheese then brown for 20 min good stuff.

Also good with a bit of a greek flair. After it has been cooked and scooped, toss it in a skillet with some tomatoes, olives, feta and oregano. We do this often when we grill lamb patties.

My wife loves spaghetti squash, I don't.

Simplest way to cook this, for me, is to just put it in the oven, uncut, while I am roasting something else. At least an hour at whatever temperature, leave it alone, and it gets done.
Then my wife will cut it in two and scoop out the strands.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight it's spaghetti squash and home made marinara sauce. After it's baked I'll shred then throw it in a skillet with garlic, olive oil, basal and the sauce. Topping with Parmesan cheese. Pictures to follow.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well the dish turned out great. It was very filling for just veggies. Very rich. Sorry no pictures...it looked like mush, but tasted like heaven.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I love acorn, butternut, and kabocha squash, but I find that spaghetti squash has no flavor.

Top Bottom