What's new

Scuttles--Overrated?

I've got a GP G20 and I really like it. It's a second, so it was much less expensive. It's taken me a few weeks to really figure out how to use it correctly, but now it makes a huge amount of great lather. I don't use warm/hot water in it in the summer, so I'll need to figure that out when it starts cooling off again. Anyway, the thing is a work of art and I enjoy using it, so for me it is not overrated.

I have the GP 20, Its a nice to have and gives hot lather for pretty much endless passes. As far as trouble lathering, I have a rubber / flexible mixing bowl that produces an amazing lather... versus that bowl because the GP is smaller and not flexible I have to start with less water. I soak the brush and then give 3-4 good flicks. I use a Chubby 2 which holds a lot of water anyway. Then load the brush like normal and it works really well. If I am not careful with the water, the lather gets thin and full of bubbles immediately. Try less water and see. I used mine this AM with Cella and it was great.

This past winter was one of nastiest I have seen in a couple decades. So nasty that by the time I even was doing touch-ups my lather was like crushed iced being spread on my face. Also so nasty I went and bought my first scuttle when the weather broke and I had some cash left rather than shoveling it out for heat. So, is it worth it? ....................

UPDATE--

Scuttles are NOT overrated, they are just fine. Here's what I did different:

Adding water into the scuttle to serve as a conductor of sorts, keeping the lather emulsified and hot at the same time. Worked like a champ, the trick is figuring out how much water to use

UPDATE--

Scuttles are NOT overrated, they are just fine. Here's what I did different:

Adding water into the scuttle to serve as a conductor of sorts, keeping the lather emulsified and hot at the same time. Worked like a champ, the trick is figuring out how much water to use

Was it a temp change or amount you put into the water chamber that made the difference for you?

I should say the combination of water amount and temp or just amount....maybe that's more clear?

Good question--the added water kept the temperature how I preferred, hot, AND it didn't break down. That happy medium is exactly what I wanted.

As far as how hot--that I'll need to play with--I think just having water is fine. I added today the water from the soap puck I soaked while in the shower

I should mention I prefer to face lather then park the brush in the scuttle--so there's about a half a teaspoon of fresh water greeting the brush when it first sits in there. If using a scuttle you'll add it in there anyway.

Overrated? No....it's really a matter of opinion....I have a GP G12 second and not only is it a beautiful piece....it's damn effective and was affordable as we'll....I'll admit not all soaps/creams like higher temps...but all my favorites do just fine...when I'm traveling I face lather, and I always look forward to getting home to the G12.

When I first started wet shaving I thought spending money on a scuttle was crazy....when I found out that GP sold seconds I bought myself one for my birthday...definitely one of my best shaving purchases ever IMO

For me It's not about HOT lather...it's about a nice warm lather, and my scuttle easily provides that for a 4 pass shave....others can turn their noses at scuttles, but mine isn't going anywhere.

Scuttles are a matter of discipline. It takes time and attention. An unnecessary but sometimes desirable step in the routine. I find mine a bit clumsy to use. I do enjoy it occasionally in the winter but in the summer months it serves more as a display/conversation piece: "Why do you keep a teapot in your bathroom?"

I rigged a scuttle last night with a big mug that I have and a smaller portioning bowl we got as a wedding present. Used hot water out of our keurig to fill it. I liked the warmth of the lather but the bowl was too small and it took a while to get a good lather whipped up. So my problem is I like a scuttle and want to use one but don't want to spend the money on a purpose made one and want a bigger bowl than what I whipped up!

I live in Maine. 'Nuff said. We've had mornings this week where I appreciated warm lather!

Wrong question, I think. For those who use and like them, they're obviously not overrated. Perhaps the right question is, "Is a scuttle right for me?"

1. The beautiful hand-crafted scuttles you see here are both splendid and expensive. I don't use one. I use a dip-chiller:

View attachment 476345
Get it at Amazon for $14.

2. I've never had lather dissipate in the scuttle, so I can't help you there. 30 or so soaps and creams, no problem. Perhaps we make our lathers differently? Also, I use hot tap water (which is plenty warm enough) rather than water heated in a microwave or on the stove.

3. It is simply lovely, if self-indulgent, to have warm lather for the last passes. So I can't rate scuttles highly enough!

4. YMMV, of course!

"Is a scuttle right for me?"

Good point.

I like a wet lather, not a dry, so I know there's plenty water there. To rephrase: I prefer to load with a damp brush and face lather. I can get phenomenal lathers, slick as snot, but before today's scuttle technique it was hard to appreciate it.

Nothing is overrated. Some people love scuttles, some don't. And some are indifferent. Just like with all shaving products.

+1. I really enjoy the warm lather I get when using my Becker scuttle. It takes a little extra time (what part of our hobby doesn't!) but to me it is worth the extra time and effort. Getting and keeping a good lather has thankfully never been a problem.

I enjoy my scuttle in the winter. In the summer, I really like the cold water shaving experience.

Nothing is overrated. Some people love scuttles, some don't. And some are indifferent. Just like with all shaving products.

+1 on both counts. I enjoy the warm lather in the winter or cooler months. I did fine for many years without a scuttle but love it now.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Overrated? Not for me. I've got a Robert Becker scuttle, fill it and the bowl with hot tap water for brush soaking while I shower, then empty and refill it when it's time to shave with more hot tap water. I used to face lather prior to getting this, but now bowl lather. Stays nice and warm for three passes. About the only negative I have re: this scuttle is the stopper - too hard to remove once it's inserted, so I don't use it. Someday I'll pare down a wine cork to fit. But I doubt the temperature loss through the fill hole is significant, I assume the stopper is more to eliminate splashing which doesn't happen anyway.

I've done some experiments where I've not used the scuttle and went back to using my previous bowl - wasn't happy with the temp of the lather on any of the passes.

I've never had problems with the lather breaking down or drying out, I think hot tap water is a sufficient temp to maintain a proper lather consistency.

Overrated? Not for me. I've got a Robert Becker scuttle, fill it and the bowl with hot tap water for brush soaking while I shower, then empty and refill it when it's time to shave with more hot tap water. I used to face lather prior to getting this, but now bowl lather. Stays nice and warm for three passes. About the only negative I have re: this scuttle is the stopper - too hard to remove once it's inserted, so I don't use it. Someday I'll pare down a wine cork to fit. But I doubt the temperature loss through the fill hole is significant, I assume the stopper is more to eliminate splashing which doesn't happen anyway.

I've done some experiments where I've not used the scuttle and went back to using my previous bowl - wasn't happy with the temp of the lather on any of the passes.

I've never had problems with the lather breaking down or drying out, I think hot tap water is a sufficient temp to maintain a proper lather consistency.

Wow. That's a really beautiful scuttle, sir. I'll keep toying with mine and report back here!

Appreciate the feedback guys I'll give it another go.

Love both my scuttles, i find its definitely better with warm water in it, i think many people make it to hot, even heard of some puttin it in the microwave.

Fill the resovior and bowl with HOT HOT water, have a shower, by the time you get out it should be good to dump the water from only the bowl and get mixing

Top Bottom