• Rheingold
  • Piels
  • Blatz
  • Schaeffer
  • Lone Star (is this one still around?)
  • Cinci
  • Duquense
  • Hamms
  • Point Beer (from Stevens Point - may still be around).
  • Carlings
  • Falstaff
  • Naragansett (Is this still around?)
  • Bohack (for one grocery chain in the NYC area)
  • Rocky Mountain
  • Strohs Fire Brew beer (Pabst bought the out.)
  • Yankee Beer from Dubuque Iowa (the smallest brewery I ever saw.)
  • Schmidt's
  • Esslinger
  • Kruegger
  • Frommer
  • Grain Belt
  • Menominee
  • Atlantic
  • Reading
  • Ortleibs
  • Black Label
  • Iron City
• Pabst Blue Ribbon
• Old Style
• Leinenkugel
• Utica Club
• Matt's
• Fyfe & Drum

Do you remember a New York beer called Congress?

I have heard that Ballantine maintains a regional presence in the Northeast. It's my go-to beer and most of the time its in a 40 ounce bottle. The six pack of pint cans are a diamond in the rough...I save them for social events to save me from all the comments.

I found a 12 pack of Carling Black Label a while back but have not seen it since. Rheingold made a comeback for a while a few years back but I have not seen it since. I finally understood what a "dry beer" was after drinking that. Once in a while, I can find a 24 ounce can of Private Stock, "the beer with the imported taste." The vintage can is pretty sick.

Ballantine is owned by Pabst, and they just announced that they are releasing the original formula Ballantine IPA this month. I do not recall ever having had it. I think maybe production ceased before I would have had the opportunity to have it, but from what I understand, it was a very good IPA. I will be interested to see how it compares to the current massive crop of IPA's. It was a style that was almost totally forgotten until it was revived by craft brewers in the 80's. Now it is probably the most ubiquitous style in the country, and the favorite of hop heads everywhere.

Matt

Ballantine is owned by Pabst, and they just announced that they are releasing the original formula Ballantine IPA this month. I do not recall ever having had it. I think maybe production ceased before I would have had the opportunity to have it, but from what I understand, it was a very good IPA. I will be interested to see how it compares to the current massive crop of IPA's. It was a style that was almost totally forgotten until it was revived by craft brewers in the 80's. Now it is probably the most ubiquitous style in the country, and the favorite of hop heads everywhere.

Matt

Thanks for the information. It looks like they are pushing the IPA pretty hard and my hope is that the regular Ballantine Ale does not cease to exist. With a 7.2% ABV, the Ballantine IPA is going to appeal to a limited crowd. I don't see myself buying it...once you've had an IPA, you've had an IPA. My general favorite IPA is the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and I cant see it as being any better than that.

Storz of Omaha

I have a label collection, new old stock, will try and post some pics. I have most of what has been mentioned.

Last edited:
I have hundreds of labels, will try and pick out the good ones.

Attachments

• $cooks.jpg
    $cooks.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 14
  • $sunvalley.jpg
    $sunvalley.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 14
  • $tivoli.jpg
    $tivoli.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 14
  • $og.jpg
    $og.jpg