What's new

Beers of Yesterday

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Pearl.

I believe they also made the J.R. Ewing brand beer during the Dallas t.v. show heyday.

Hideous stuff.

Naragansett and Lone Star are still around...

How about Shiner Bock which has made a comeback of late...?

Rolling Rock is still around and a classic

Genesee Cream Ale?

Schlitz? how could you forget Schlitz?

I am sure my Dad could come up with a bunch more, I will have to poll him..

Schlitz was a Milwaukee favorite. Hadn't realized they are no more. Wonder if the big sign off the highway is still there.

• Ballantine
  • Rheingold
  • Piels
  • Blatz
  • Schaeffer
  • Lone Star (is this one still around?)
  • Cinci
  • Duquense
  • Hamms
  • Point Beer (from Stevens Point - may still be around).
  • Carlings
  • Falstaff
  • Naragansett (Is this still around?)
  • Bohack (for one grocery chain in the NYC area)
  • Rocky Mountain
  • Strohs Fire Brew beer (Pabst bought the out.)
  • Yankee Beer from Dubuque Iowa (the smallest brewery I ever saw.)
  • Schmidt's
  • Esslinger
  • Kruegger
  • Frommer
  • Grain Belt
  • Menominee
  • Atlantic
  • Reading
  • Ortleibs
  • Black Label
  • Iron City
• Pabst Blue Ribbon
• Old Style
• Leinenkugel
• Utica Club
• Matt's
• Fyfe & Drum

Pabst is still around. It also brews Old Style. So is Leinenkugel, who now makes flavored beers. Matt's also is around and makes Utica Club.

I got into Canada recently and was astounded to find that LaBatt's and Carling was missing. Apparently replaced by Coors.

Oh the horror!

I got into Canada recently and was astounded to find that LaBatt's and Carling was missing. Apparently replaced by Coors.

Oh the horror!

On my last trip to Canada (last summer) I was shocked to find that Molson's and LaBatt cost much more in Canada that in the U.S.!

Goetz, Country Club, Export (MO), Muehlback, Griesidick; Wisconsin Premium, Canadian Ace, Hudepohl, Schoenling, Wiedemeier's Royal Amber, Walter's, Colorado Gold Label, Harlequin, Great Falls, Big Sky, Highlander, Burger, Rainier Ale, Carling-O'Keefe's Old Vienna, Gluek Stite Malt Liquor, Prior's Double Dark, Schmidt's (MN & PA), Rice Lake, Cold Spring, Brown Derby & all General Brewing labels (LA), Golden Grain, Acme, Carlings Red Cap Ale, Pabst Old Tankard Ale, Burgermeister, Ruhstaller's Gilt Edge, Stag & other Oklahoma beers, Sterling, Blitz, Pearl,

Isn't it sad that so many beers have hit the dust or been reformulated to taste like Bud or Miller?

According the Brewer's Association statistics, the low point of operating brewers in the United States (excluding Prohibition) was 1978 when there were only 89 left. In 1960 there were 180. The historical high point was actually in 1873 when there were 4,131! That number was determined based upon tax records.

The good news is that the brewery count went to 3,040 earlier in July of this year, the greatest number since the 1800's. Yes, it is true that the brewing industry in the US gravitated toward a rather tasteless, fizzy yellow beverage that was for all intents and purposes much the same among the major remaining brewers in the 60's and 70's, but we are now in a renaissance of brewing that actually began in the 70's and 80's. The number and variety of beer styles available now in the US is unrivaled anywhere in the world. If you love beer, finding great beer in this country is easy. In fact, there are so many great beers, deciding what to drink is proving to be a challenge of its own.

Oh, and BTW, the brewers of New Orleans, where I went to college in the late 60's and early 70's, need to be added to the list: Jax and Dixie. Falstaff had a brewery there as well, but that has already been mentioned.

Matt

Top Bottom