What's new

need some guidance for my first kayak

Hello Gents. As the title says, I'm in the market for my first kayak. There are a ton of options, designs, features, and so much else that I am having some trouble narrowing my search. I would like to be able to do some fishing, as well as recreational paddling. This will only be for inland lakes and rivers. Nothing too serious (no whitewater), but I don't want to have to run for shore at the first sign of a little bit of chop on the water. I'm also only planning at light packed day trips for the time being. As far as size, I will be transporting it on the roof of my Jeep, and I'm not the lightest guy in the world at about 220lbs. My current budget is about 500. Any recommendations?

Do a few test paddles at your local shop to see what you like. Then find a used boat if you cant afford a new one. Maybe take a few day tours with a local shop. That way you can spend some real time in one and see what you like and don't like.

Sit in or Sit on top? Keep in mind a nice paddle will set you back about $100 as well and a PFD $50-100 or more, depending on how comfortable you want it.

I'd recommend a SIT ON TOP for a first kayak, especially if you plan on doing some streams, flat water and fishing. They are ultra stable, self bailing so you can get water in it and don't have to worry. They are lots of fun, easy to get in and out, you get a bit wet so can't wear dry clothes but we have never tipped it and they are great to fish in. Most of the FeelFree's come with a built in wheel for dragging them short distances to and from campsites or parking lots and doesn't seem to affect drag in the water too much.

We have a couple FeelFree Junto's kayaks and have been very happy with them. They are light enough (even this model) to roof top solo. Look at some local stores like REI or other outdoors places and check their BST boards or online locally.

It comes in around $600 shipped from Amazon

$kayaks_recreation_move.jpg

My next kayak (if we sell one of the Junto's) will be a Pyranha Fushion but it comes in around double your budget if new:

$product-kayak-pyranha_fusion.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm still looking for a decent place to shop around. There is a rei not too far from me, so I will be starting there.

Kayaking is a ton of fun.

The one benefit I enjoy with our sit on top, is I can dangle my feet over the sides when relaxing or even jump off and go for a dip and then hope back on.

Keep us posted on how your research and testing goes. Ask around at REI, see if they have a paddle day. MEC up here in Canada has paddle fest and you can take out boats and try them...heck, they are so good that if you buy a boat or any item based on their description or advise and it doesn't meet your needs, you can return it.

The sit on top sounds like a good plan for a starter. I am really excited about this. I've never had one on open water, but kayaking skills was an elective physical ed credit that I took back in high school and absolutely loved it. Of course, it was taught in the controlled environment of the swimming pool, but we got to learn a ton of fun stuff. Paddling techniques, rolling the kayak (and bringing it back upright whole still inside), and it was capped of by learning how to take a large drop safely. That was probably my favorite part, because we got to take turns pushing each others kayaks off of the diving boards.

You can add "thight straps" to some of the sit on tops and they make it feel more contained.

They keep your knees/legs in place when you are paddling and keep them from naturally swaying with each paddle thrust. They are padded, comfortable and can easily be clipped on or off. You can also just let them dangle in the kayak when the setting calls for a more relaxed paddle.

We added a set this year and I loved them. An easy and cheap upgrade that will set you back $30-50 if your kayak has the option to clip them on (I believe most do).

Here are mine for our FeelFree...eBay has them with free shipping for about $30, Brand New, BIN.

$mysto-leg-straps-l.jpg
(Not my legs, despite filename)

Last edited:
If you are interested in fishing, some of them come with rod holders which would come in handy. As pointed out, sit-tops are great first option, we started with a pair of Jackson Rivieras. Stable and easy to use, but not particularly quick in the water. Given your size and you want to carry a bit of gear, you probably want something at least 12'ish feet, 28-30" wide. There are lots in that category so it really depends on what's available locally to you. We moved up fairly quickly to 12' sit-in kayaks from the 10.5' sit-tops since we wanted something a little more efficient for paddling around the lake (4-5 miles) at a time.

I like the thigh straps, and it is definitely something I'm going to keep in mind when checking out a few boats. I do have a question about weight limits. Is there a general rule of thumb for how far you should be from the max weight of a particular kayak? I know a 250lb max cap is cutting it a bit too close for me to be comfortable with, but will 300lb max cap be ok? My fishing gear isn't too heavy, maybe 15lbs total, plus the paddle and personal safety gear. So totally loaded, I'm thinking I will be in the neighborhood of 250-260 on the kayak. Will I be compromising stability?

I don't have a ton of experience, but I'd say 70-75% of the weight limit would be a good line NOT to cross.

So if it has a 350lb limit, and you weigh 220lb, you could comfortably pack 20lbs of gear and still be a bit under that line.

Thanks Bruce! Seems like a reasonable guideline to follow, and if nothing else, a bit of motivation to hit the gym.

So I had a chance to stop by rei and sat in a bunch of kayaks. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. One gent pointed me to a kayak club that offers to take new guys out and try some boats. I'm thinking that it will be a good experience to get out on the water in a couple of different style kayaks before I commit to buying one.

That's awesome. Stores like REI and MEC are fantastic for help and pointing people in the right direction.

Many other stores have part time high school employees selling canoes and kayaks and have never even been in one. They'd try to get you in to one and make the sale...not REI and MEC. The reason being, they use them and are usually familiar with the goods first hand. I was walking to the front of a big box store a few years ago with our potential first canoe when I asked "what's the return policy if it doesn't track well or paddle well?". He sad once it's in the water, it's yours. We gently dropped the canoe to the floor and walked out.

REI seems to have the same Rock Solid 100% money back guarantee as MEC and stand behind their products as well as they advise and suggestions for what you should buy. It appears REI is now one year as people were abusing it...MEC will likely follow if people return boots after hiking with them for three years.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head Bruce. I didn't feel pressured or up sold at all. It is really a nice change of pace from the normal sporting goods stores. Even if it means spending a bit more, I will definitely be purchasing from them once I decide on a boat.

Spend the $20 for the lifetime membership...worth it

Agreed. I've been a member of MEC up here in Canada for as long as I can remember. You actually can't purchase anything at MEC unless you are a member, even spouses have to get their own membership.

It's only $5 up here, but even $20 would be a bargain.

Enjoy your search for a kayak, definitely try them out when/wherever possible. There are a lot of makers and designs out there so it does take a while to determine what you really like, want and can afford. I'll second the recommendation of something longer since it does make paddling and steering easier. My wife has a 12' Perception Carolina, a nice sleek design that cuts through the water nicely. I have a 14' Wilderness Systems Pungo, kind of heavy but with a broader beam for my XXL carcass :blushing:. It's easy to paddle and holds direction a lot more easily than the shorter, more maneuverable styles do. There is a lot less of the bow wiggling from side to side with each paddle stroke so your energy is better directed into going forward instead of repeatedly correcting your heading.

I like to fly fish from mine, someday I'll get it fitted with a rod carrier and a small anchor to make it a lot easier for me to do so when out on the lake.

Since you're looking at carrying it on top of your vehicle, eventually you'll want a good roof rack as well. Thule makes one with a roller system that extends back from the rear cradle that makes solo loading much easier. Craig's list and eBay are places where you can find reasonable deals on used car top carriers as well.

Hope this helps in your search.

Top Bottom