What's new

Gillette razors - a little help wanted

Hello Gentlemen

I've heard a great many things about the fine qualities of various Gillette DE razors, and I find I consider to try to aquire one at some point. The Fat Boy drew my attention early on, but then I hear marvelous things about Gillette New, and then someone would throw in some comments about year and place of manufacture. In the past I do believe I saw a reference to a site, or sites, with tidy and concise information about this very subject.

Are any of you fine gentlemen able to lend a hand in this matter to a fellow shaving enthusiast?

In advance, thank you and my deepest regards.

Yours sincerely
Eirik

(I don't normally express myself in this manner, but the fancy struck me, and now I feel like putting on a tweed suit and bowler hat)

Well, let's get right to the point gentlemen... The man really needs several vintage Gillettes! The standard (and correct) answer to any "Which one should I get?" question is always "BOTH".

Interesting comparison though, there is a huge difference between the NEW and Adjustable. If you like a 3-piece then compare the open comb NEW to the safety bar Tech. If you prefer a 1-piece twist-to-open then I would recommend either a 50's-style Super speed before going for an adjustable (Fat Boy or Slim).

Ah, yes the wiki. Sadly, tapatalk doesn't cater to that. And yes, I do look towards adjustables.

Ah, yes the wiki. Sadly, tapatalk doesn't cater to that. And yes, I do look towards adjustables.

Of course you do. You're gonna spend big $$$ on adjustables, then one day you'll try a NEW and all the Fatties and Skinnies will be collecting dust. I've been there, done that.

Just sayin' ... :tongue_sm

Oh, I know the can of worms idiom, but initially my thoughts whent more in the direction other fishing related idioms , like "being hooked" or the like. English is not my first language, so sometimes these things fly past me. Should've got that one though. Anyways, rather than being set on any type, I feel I need to learn some more before actually using my hard earned money. It's going to some time between purchases, and I badly need to indulge in some nice soaps as well. I've got 20 years of bad shaving to make up for!

Last edited:
If I were starting again with the experience I have now, I would start with a Tech (preferably an early fat-handle) or a Super Speed. Both are fine shavers and kind to the face.

Top Bottom