What's new

Fatboy problem

TTO knob will not tighten down, it was always on the stiff side and wasn't a really smooth action, but if I soaked it in mineral oil it would be ok for a for a while and then stiffen up again. Now it will not tighten apart from a fraction of a turn, this after yet another soaking in mineral oil. Date code is G2 if that's any help. Thanks.

you can try running some CLR down the center hole of the razor to help flush things out. Once you do that you'll want to rinse the razor and soak in mineral oil again. I suspect you have some lime & soap buildup in there.

Try either a teflon oil, such as Tri-Flow, which is a "wet" oil, or DuPonts Teflon Multi-use Lubricant, which is a "dry" oil. What I mean by those terms is that the triflow stay wet like an oil, but the Dupont uses a evaporant to deliver the lubrication, then evaporates to just leave the lube. The two above both contain teflon, and I find that the teflon helps. If there IS gunk in the razor, the DuPont might be the better choice. The evaporant they use is petroleum distillates, which is very much like lighter fluid, and does tend to disolve dried out things. Also, try finding Singer Sewing Machine oil. It's available in most major stores in their sewing departments. It's multi use, so you can use it for other things, such as bike chains, etc.... These are all good general oils, with many more uses other than razors. If what I suggested is wrong, I welcome comments.

I've run some CLR in and it's helped a bit, it will turn now although not as smooth as I'd like:smile: I have got some teflon oil if I can ever find it that I use on my roller blade bearings. Many thanks for the help lads.

Well after a couple more drinks of CLR and a good rinsing the mechanism finally started working correctly, I left it to dry overnight and then poured some clipper oil in as I couldn't find the teflon oil and it's working very smoothly now, in fact the best it has ever worked.

I have had real success in pouring some paint thinner into old gillettes. Not paint remover, but paint thinner. I had a fatboy that sort of skipped, and wouldn't lock down on the final quarter turn. I poured some paint thinner into it and it dissolved the old gunk which ran out the bottom black. I kept pouring in paint thinner until it poured out clear. I don't think I used more than a few ounces of the stuff.

I don't believe in oiling these razors - I see no need for it and the oil will sooner or later and likely sooner just gunk up again.

Top Bottom