What's new

Cartridge vs Safety Razor - Aggressiveness

How would you guys rate a cartridge razor in terms of aggressiveness compared to a safety razor? From what I understand most guys can't get BBS shaves out of a cartridge razor so I would assume most cartridge razors are less aggressive compare to safety razors. I know there is a lot of different levels of aggressiveness but what safety razor would you compare say a Gillette Fusion ProGlide to in terms of equally close shaves?

A fresh cart, with proper technique and prep, will give me a near BBS shave in 3 passes.

Any dull, clogged or dirty razor or cart will give a lousy shave, especially with poor prep.

IMO....

Almost any DE is more aggressive than a cart. Carts you almost have to slide sideways to get a cut. My Atra was way less aggressive than even my lowly Tech.

But others may think different.

Now Razor rash from multiple blades going over an area without lube or cream, Carts win hands down.

Carts have sharp blades but they are set at a benign angle and with very little actual blade exposure. The housing around the cart prevents the user from getting the razor's edge really close to the skin, in order to protect the shaver from cuts.

the price you pay for extreme safety is that these razors won't cut very close. Unless, of course, you apply pressure. The harder you push, the closer they cut.

People push hard, so the cartridge razor manufacturers make a large housing and add more blades so that the pressure is equally distributed, preventing cuts.

So, in other words, the cartridge manufacturer decides how you should shave your face. They are VERY mild unless a lot of pressure is applied.

A safety razor, even a mild one, allows a closer shave by allowing the shaver to choose (to a certain extent) their blade angle and pressure. Safety razors that allow a lot of leeway in terms of cutting angle are generally considered aggressive, while those with a very narrow effective window are usually called mild. But none of them is as mild as a cartridge razor.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom