What's new

Daily shave?

How many of you shave everyday? I go back to work next week and my boss is not a fan of stubble. She says it is unprofessional. I have been using the DE for about a month now and only shave every other day because my technique is not so good and my face needs the rest.

Is there a secret to the daily shave I am missing?

Have you tried doing a one- or two-pass shave to see if your face requires less rest afterwards than a three-pass shave while yielding socially acceptable results?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Not everyone can shave everyday. It takes more than a month to get this perfectly right. If you are skipping days, it will take longer. Practice makes it perfect. I agree with the post above, try a 1 or 2 passe only. Have you tried a different (milder) razor? That might help.

I shave everyday. It just takes practice. Also no need for every shave to be BBS. 1 or 2 passes with a touch up should be enough.

I find it easier to shave everyday then to skip a day. If you shave everyday your razor will tug less then when you skip a day.

I shave at least six times every week. I do try to take one day a week off because I like the fun of shaving a really scruffy face.

Concentrate on not applying pressure

Map your face and take the road(s) of least resistance

Map your beard again after your first pass and take the road(s) of least resistance

Stick with a two pass shave until your technique improves to the point where a daily shave is no big deal

Once that happens, shave those first two passes, map your face as before and take the road(s) of least resistance for the third pass

You guessed it, stick with a three pass shave until you reach the point where a daily three pass shave is no big deal

Have fun...

I shave 7 days a week most of the time. It took me about a month to figure out what worked for me. I almost always had neck irritation no matter what I tried. Last night I tried cold water shaving and it was great. It really reduced the irritation on my neck. It's not for everyone, though. If you're adventurous, give it a shot.

+1 for this. Very well said.

I shave everyday. It just takes practice. Also no need for every shave to be BBS. 1 or 2 passes with a touch up should be enough.

I find it easier to shave everyday then to skip a day. If you shave everyday your razor will tug less then when you skip a day.

Try using more of the razor cap. If you are using too steep of a blade angle it will still cut fine but scrape your face in the process. Getting the proper angle is the hardest part and where most people have problems, even experienced shavers. Watch your pressure as well. No pressure means no pressure. If you have good prep, the right blade angle, and use no pressure you should be able to shave every day and get the absolute best shaves of your life. I shave every day with a very aggressive razor without any issues, it's all about your technique.

Good Luck.

I just figured out that if i do Two wtg passes above the neck and wtg, atg and xtg on my neck I get a DFS and I can shave daily.

BTW, what blades do you use? I had to try many different blades before I found the best (less irritating) baldes for me.

Due to my job I shave everyday. There is no need for me to even try for BBS, I do 2 with the grain passes making sure to use very little pressure. If I need a closer shave I will go XTG on my second pass. The most important thing to me is how the shave looks to others as opposed to how it feels when I rub my face.

I used astra but was getting lots of irritation. I put my hand in the sample bag and pulled out a Feather for the latest change. I thought things went great for the shave the other day, until I put the witch hazel on. OOOOWWWWWWWW!!!! Yesterday I used the M3 cart and that really messed me up.

Last edited:
In the summer of 1994, my boss reprimanded me for coming into the office with a stubbly face. I have never skipped a day since then.

That was way before stubble became fashionable.

I used astra but was getting lots of irritation. I put my hand in the sample bag and pulled out a Feather for the latest change. I thought things went great for the shave the other day, until I put the witch hazel on. OOOOWWWWWWWW!!!! Yesterday I used the M3 cart and that really messed me up.

The biggest mistake I made when I was learning was to vary anything in my shave. So for 6 months I used that same kind of blade and the same soap. This let me improve my technique to the point that I could try different blades and soap. Your irritation is probably from your technique. You must become consistent with no pressure and the correct angle. Then you can try other blades to fine tune your shave.

YMMV

I shave everyday. Only do a 3 pass shave of WTG, XTG (L->R) then XTG (R->L) with some touch-ups. Occasionally I will skip a day on the weekend if I am not going anywhere.

Good advice.

3 passes 6 or 7 days/week. No burn ever; sometimes a nick.
Been wetshaving a couple years, technique really came together in last 6 or 8 months. Cold water and Proraso Pre/Post decreased any skin irritation to zero.
Prep shower with hair conditioner
Cold water rinse and dab of proraso pre/post each pass (noxzema works identically).
WTG, XTG, ATG with a wide variety of DEs and blades.

Cheers
Light touch!

Top Bottom