What's new

Les Lat/hybrid Jnat edge?

Hello, picked up a Les Lat/hybrid the other day. (thanks David). Played around with it and the edge off this is more jnat than coti! Did 100 strokes or so on a light slurry to water. My understanding is the abrasive on the hybrid side is at least partial quartz among others. This has the feel water only like a hard arkansas. Very hard stone. Yellow side is super fast with slurry and hybrid side is fast as well with yellow side of slurry stone. Im liking a zippy coti edge, but is it really a coti? I mean it is but are there garnets on the hybrid side? Either way Im a happy camper.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The hybrids are one of my favorite hones. From my understanding, there are no Garnets on the hybrid side. I believe it's made up of quartz that is <1 micron. I think I read this on ardennes site. Busy now but I'll try and find the link later

David

Found it

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 124

David

This is the only one I have. It's the triangle in the center

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 115
Are you sure there's no garnets in the hybrid? I virtually never use the hybrid side of Les Lat, so can't say otherwise, but it strikes me as unlikely. Has anyone tried a dilucot on the hybrid side?

When I did use my LL hybrid side, I didn't find the finish was significantly sharper than off the coti side, but it did seem a good bit less regular, but I wrote that off due to the hybrid side of my stone having some flaws in it that could have banged up the edge a touch.

Henk Bos published that info in one of his Grinding and Honong papers earlier this year I think.

The Old Guard on the forums would say that the LL was no different than other Cotis, so far as final results are concerned.
I have never agreed with that theory, but until I read Henk's paper, I knew there was a difference, but didnt know what.
Hardness - yes, thats obvious. But everything else was always different to me also.
My exges off a LL hybrid are notably different, to me, than those off other stones.
I do use an LLH Cotigura to get there though.

Are you sure there's no garnets in the hybrid? I virtually never use the hybrid side of Les Lat, so can't say otherwise, but it strikes me as unlikely. Has anyone tried a dilucot on the hybrid side?

When I did use my LL hybrid side, I didn't find the finish was significantly sharper than off the coti side, but it did seem a good bit less regular, but I wrote that off due to the hybrid side of my stone having some flaws in it that could have banged up the edge a touch.

I know my little one does (have garnets) because there is a patch of bbw and what looks to be regular coti on it

Eh, I don't have a hybrid side broad enough to try something like that. Some day though. My mystery swirl stones aren't quite as hard as a hybrid side LL, but they get pretty close, and cut much faster. They give me an edge that I'd say is more refined than a standard coticule edge, but like I said, my LL hybrid is damned hard to work with and I'm just not willing to put in the effort getting it smooth enough I'd be confident I'm really seeing what it can do. I'd be really interested seeing someone who uses coti's a lot take some high res scope pics of a hybrid finish vs a yellow coti finish, the cutting pattern of coticule garnets leave a finish that is pretty distinct if you have something else to compare them against, so it'd be apparent under the scope if something else was doing the majority of the abrasion with the hybrid stone.

I know my little one does (have garnets) because there is a patch of bbw and what looks to be regular coti on it

Thanks

David

No, I'm not sure about anything. I've read that the main component is quartz. There is definitely something special about the hybrid side, to me at least. My 8x2 is a combo-all I ever use is the hybrid side. I make a slurry on the hybrid side with a hard la dressante slurry stone and do a standard dilucot, then 100 laps on water and it will pop HHT 3-4 right off the stone. Like Keith said, the edges are notably different coming off the hybrid. They're hard, and a pain to lap..but it's well worth it.

Hardness is something that stands out to me as well so far. You guys have talked about lapping these things taking forever. Anybody do any hardness testing against other hard stones?

David

Yeah, your stone was semi flat when I got it. Took me hours to get it perfect. After I got it flat I used a ozuku tomo to really polish it up...actually got it too polished and had to bring it back down a bit. I've been lapping a trans ark...I don't think the LL is that hard, but it's hard. More of a brittle type hard.

No, I'm not sure about anything. I've read that the main component is quartz. There is definitely something special about the hybrid side, to me at least. My 8x2 is a combo-all I ever use is the hybrid side. I make a slurry on the hybrid side with a hard la dressante slurry stone and do a standard dilucot, then 100 laps on water and it will pop HHT 3-4 right off the stone. Like Keith said, the edges are notably different coming off the hybrid. They're hard, and a pain to lap..but it's well worth it.

Have you tried making a slurry hybrid on hybrid (Yes, I'm well aware how long this will take), to see if dilucot works with it?

Brittle type hard is a very good way to describe it. Mine is almost identical hardness to the harder of my two charnleys. Far softer than my arks, but far harder than almost everything else I own. It can easily scratch pretty much anything that isn't novaculite. Which is making me really consider putting in the time to polish it up and see what it can do.

Last edited:

David

I tried it and it scratched my stone up pretty bad so I stopped doing that. I think some (enough) of the hybrid slurry is released when I use the hard LD slurry stone. Hopefully Scott and Gary will weigh in here...they're both really experienced with the LL's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom