What's new

Gillette OLD type = closest shave I've ever had

I recently acquired some vintage Gillette DE's (a 1950 Super Speed, a '38 - '45 Fat Handle Tech and a '21 - '28 Old Type Set) after using a Merkur 33C Classic for almost 10 years and a Gillette Diplomat for a few months. I also have a Gillette NEW type on the way. I've, of course, been through a ton of different blades and have gravitated to a random choice between Feather Hi-Stainless and Astra Superior Platinum blades.

A year or so after I started DE shaving back around 2006 my grandfather gave me his old Gillette Diplomat which he hadn't used in years. I tried it, but, being green and used to my Merkur 33C, I found it to be far too mild and not satisfactory. But, my 33C has developed chipped corners in the base plate, somehow (possibly due to accidental drops over the years during cleaning) and so I had decided to try, again, my Diplomat and found it to be very mild, but effective, more so than in my previous trials, possibly due to my blade choices, now or improved technique. This led me to thinking about trying different razors so I decided to do some research on B&B and found some new-to-me, vintage razors.

I tried the 1950 Super Speed and it was a pretty good shave, possibly closer than my Diplomat, but this morning I went for the gold (pun intended) and picked up the Old Type which I recently acquired off the bay. It's got a ball-end handle and appears to me as to have never been used. The set was a gift from a bank and has the bank's name etched into the top and what I believe to be the original blades are still in the set. This is my first open-comb shave and I have to say I'm very impressed. It's the closest shave I've ever had without having to go back to touch up to the point of blood loss. And all this with a 3-day old Astra blade. I don't know why I took the risk of shaving with an unfamiliar razor with an old blade, but it worked out much better than I had imagined. I really thought I would have been spilling blood, but not a drop. I also run an alum block over my face after a shave and rinse and then follow up with witch hazel on a cotton pad and I always have some resistance, but today - none, my face was smooth as glass.

I can't wait for my NEW type, but I don't know that it can top this shave!

I think you will find the New to be smoother and more comfortable than the Old. Used correctly, it will probably be almost as efficient and just as capable of giving you the close shave you want without the aggressiveness. Lots of us here think the New was the epitome of double edge razor design. As the old commercial used to say, "Try it --- you'll like it."

BTW, welcome to B&B!

I agree that you should find the Gillette NEW to be slightly less aggressive than the OLD type.

They are both terrific razors that IMO, everyone should try.

Welcome to B&B.

The Old Type are great razors, in my opinion it is more efficient than the NEW, but less smooth too. The NEW is the perfect combo of efficient and smooth, therefore most people, myself included, prefer them to the Old Type.

I find the 1920's old type and the goodwill to be very close to the New LC in comfort and closeness. I am still waiting to get my hands on a single or double ring or anything pre 1920. I would really like to find my fathers birth year razor, something from 1919.

The Old Type are great razors, in my opinion it is more efficient than the NEW, but less smooth too. The NEW is the perfect combo of efficient and smooth, therefore most people, myself included, prefer them to the Old Type.

+1

Gillette open combs are fantastic shavers, I barely use my safety bar razor these days, it's Old Type, New Standard and NEW LC for me, with the NEW LC being the smoothest!

I have a short comb NEW and several Old Type models. For me, blade selection is critical to a comfortable shave with the Old Types as they give me a more aggressive shave. The blades I use in my Old Types are Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Bleu Extra, and Swedish G's. They are all very sharp and very smooth.

I picked up an Old Type on fleabay a few weeks ago in an effort to find a cheap foray into open comb. ($5.50 shipped!) It is by far the closest shave I have ever had. That sucker is aggressive! I would like to try a New. I'm always on the lookout for an affordable one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is almost like people are afraid of OC razors as they wait so long before trying. They do not drain your last blood. :lol:

Congratulations to a great shave!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I just have to report that it is now part 7:30 p.m. and my face still feels like I just shaved - amazingly smooth all day long 😁 I think I'm in love ❤

Not me. I'm one of the minority that prefers the Old Type and New Improved. I like to pair them with a Polsilver or Gillette 7 O"Clock Yellow.

Cheers, George

I haven't figured out yet which is my favorite razor. Glad to hear you lime the OT so much. You may prefer the NEW more, but you my be an OT guy. Either way is fine, as the ultimate goal here is to get the bet shave possible. Good luck.

Top Bottom