What's new

Injinji....just bought some...any users?

Heel and toe are level height with each other. Most shoes keep the heel higher so you end up with a 8mm drop, 10mm drop, etc.

I think most people think "minimalist" when they hear zero drop, but that isn't necessarily true I don't think.

Aha...so what does a zero drop do for you?

I guess the theory is that zero drop positions your foot in a natural running position, with the benefits of strengthened muscles in your feet, reduced injuries/pain, etc. Honestly, the zero drop ideology is new to me so I don't know all of the details. Zero drop is actually one of the biggest reasons why I haven't tried Altra yet. I love the foot shaped shoe, but the lowest drop shoe I have run in is 8mm.

I guess the theory is that zero drop positions your foot in a natural running position, with the benefits of strengthened muscles in your feet, reduced injuries/pain, etc. Honestly, the zero drop ideology is new to me so I don't know all of the details. Zero drop is actually one of the biggest reasons why I haven't tried Altra yet. I love the foot shaped shoe, but the lowest drop shoe I have run in is 8mm.

Interesting...May have to give these a try

I expect that you'll see some initial calf, ankle or Achilles soreness, but biomechanically, our legs and feet evolved to run that way.

Zero drop isn't an arbitrary definition, it means the heel and the toe sit at the same level. Most shoes, be they sneakers or wingtips have a stacked hell that sits above the forefoot. Zero drop shoes don't have this, they sit at the same height.

Minimalist shoes, have a much more arbitrary definition. And as Mountaineer says, the words are not interchangeable. Some minimalist shoes are zero drop, others aren't. Also some Zero drop shoes are max cushion, the opposite of minimalism. I have a pair of New Balance 1600's for example, it's a racing shoe, it's very light just over 5oz, virtually no cushion, but has a pretty high Heel to Toe drop (~10mm). One the other side of that coin, I also own a pair of Altra Torins, a shoe with a ton of cushion, both the heel and the toes sit about 25mm above the ground on a level platform, so there is zero heel to toe drop. So the terms definitely aren't interchangeable.

Minimalism is in general terms is a lightweight shoe that fits in the middle ground between a moderate to highly cushioned running shoes and a shoe with very, very little to zero cushion like Vibrams or Merrell Barefoot Gloves. Minimalist shoes also begin to lower the amount of heel toe drop from the traditional levels of 8-15 mm to the 4-7 mm range, though this part isn't hard and fast. Some minimal shoes are zero mm, some have just as high of a heel as a super cushion. They may have been initially viewed as a stepping stone on an athletes way to Vibrams but have become their own successful shoe category as opposing to only a transition.

Much of the running theory behind minimalism is that is you have a shoe that provides little cushion, you will run with a more natural (barefoot style), shock absorbing gate and run smoother and faster with less impact. Obviously there is a lot of debate on the subject.

While the term is relatively new, minimalist shoes have existed throughout the modern running shoe era, in the form of racing flats.

Last edited:
Zero drop isn't an arbitrary definition, it means the heel and the toe sit at the same level. Most shoes, be they sneakers or wingtips have a stacked hell that sits above the forefoot. Zero drop shoes don't have this, they sit at the same height.

Minimalist shoes, have a much more arbitrary definition. And as Mountaineer says, the words are not interchangeable. Some minimalist shoes are zero drop, others aren't. Also some Zero drop shoes are max cushion, the opposite of minimalism. I have a pair of New Balance 1600's for example, it's a racing shoe, it's very light just over 5oz, virtually no cushion, but has a pretty high Heel to Toe drop (~10mm). One the other side of that coin, I also own a pair of Altra Torins, a shoe with a ton of cushion, both the heel and the toes sit about 25mm above the ground on a level platform, so there is zero heel to toe drop. So the terms definitely aren't interchangeable.

Minimalism is in general terms is a lightweight shoe that fits in the middle ground between a moderate to highly cushioned running shoes and a shoe with very, very little to zero cushion like Vibrams or Merrell Barefoot Gloves. Minimalist shoes also begin to lower the amount of heel toe drop from the traditional levels of 8-15 mm to the 4-7 mm range, though this part isn't hard and fast. Some minimal shoes are zero mm, some have just as high of a heel as a super cushion. They may have been initially viewed as a stepping stone on an athletes way to Vibrams but have become their own successful shoe category as opposing to only a transition.

Much of the running theory behind minimalism is that is you have a shoe that provides little cushion, you will run with a more natural (barefoot style), shock absorbing gate and run smoother and faster with less impact. Obviously there is a lot of debate on the subject.

While the term is relatively new, minimalist shoes have existed throughout the modern running shoe era, in the form of racing flats.

Tim,

Am I correct in my assumption that you regularly switch back and forth from zero drop to "normal" drop running shoes? If so, do you change your gait depending on the shoe you're wearing for the day?

Tim,

Am I correct in my assumption that you regularly switch back and forth from zero drop to "normal" drop running shoes? If so, do you change your gait depending on the shoe you're wearing for the day?

I switch between zero drop and normal shoes. For example, my dress shoes at the office aren't anywhere near zero drop, but I do nearly all my runs (~98%) in either Altra's or Newtons and the the highest Heel to Toe drop I run is 4mm. So I really do keep to stuff that is similar and with that my gait does not change. My background is that of a sprinter and my natural gait is a midfoot/forefoot strike.

Edit: I want to add, even with a shoe with a normal heel to toe drop, ~10mm, I don't think one's gait should change much. I have a few friends who are elites and while they often race and do fast workouts in low heel to toe drop shoes they do their easy runs in traditional shoes without issue and without changing their form, just slowing down. On the other hand some people may switch back and forth a bit to give some muscle groups a rest.

Last edited:
I switch between zero drop and normal shoes. For example, my dress shoes at the office aren't anywhere near zero drop, but I do nearly all my runs (~98%) in either Altra's or Newtons and the the highest Heel to Toe drop I run is 4mm. So I really do keep to stuff that is similar and with that my gait does not change. My background is that of a sprinter and my natural gait is a midfoot/forefoot strike.

Edit: I want to add, even with a shoe with a normal heel to toe drop, ~10mm, I don't think one's gait should change much. I have a few friends who are elites and while they often race and do fast workouts in low heel to toe drop shoes they do their easy runs in traditional shoes without issue and without changing their form, just slowing down. On the other hand some people may switch back and forth a bit to give some muscle groups a rest.

So...that said is the discussion that you have to "ease" into zero drop all hype? If your gait doesn't change, why the transition period? Does it really affect different muscle groups that significantly?

So...that said is the discussion that you have to "ease" into zero drop all hype? If your gait doesn't change, why the transition period? Does it really affect different muscle groups that significantly?

If you're a heel striker, you gait may change and likely will, I always have landed on my forefoot so my gait didn't change. I don't think that was anything special about me, I was just always used to sprinting when I started running distance I didn't know any other way to run.

You have to ease yourself into them because most people's Achilles tendons shorten due to them always having their heel elevated above their toes in any other shoe, the tendon needs time to lengthen a bit. Additionally, you may find yourself using your calf and soleus muscles much more than you previously did if you were a heel striker. They also need a bit of time to strengthen. Even though my gait didn't change I had to ease myself into them because just like everyone else my tendon shortened wearing regular shoes (non running) as well as traditional running shoes. I still struggle with adequate ankle flexibility specifically in my left leg. I like Altra's but they aren't a cure all. I still have injury problems. Honestly my favorite part about them isn't the zero drop, it's the Foot Shaped design with that extra wide toe box. They don't look cool, but they sure are comfy. For me at least.

If you're a heel striker, you gait may change and likely will, I always have landed on my forefoot so my gait didn't change. I don't think that was anything special about me, I was just always used to sprinting when I started running distance I didn't know any other way to run.

You have to ease yourself into them because most people's Achilles tendons shorten due to them always having their heel elevated above their toes in any other shoe, the tendon needs time to lengthen a bit. Additionally, you may find yourself using your calf and soleus muscles much more than you previously did if you were a heel striker. They also need a bit of time to strengthen. Even though my gait didn't change I had to ease myself into them because just like everyone else my tendon shortened wearing regular shoes (non running) as well as traditional running shoes. I still struggle with adequate ankle flexibility specifically in my left leg. I like Altra's but they aren't a cure all. I still have injury problems. Honestly my favorite part about them isn't the zero drop, it's the Foot Shaped design with that extra wide toe box. They don't look cool, but they sure are comfy. For me at least.

Thanks for the explanation...I am seriously interested in giving these a shot...don't think I asked this earlier, can you put inserts in them?

Ok...ironically on my taper, I've started to develop the same old blisters I get during marathon training...not sure what has changed but the bottom line here is that these socks aren't foolproof

Thanks for the explanation...I am seriously interested in giving these a shot...don't think I asked this earlier, can you put inserts in them?

I think you can. The insoles that come with the shoes come out.

As for blisters. I don't think there is any magic cure for those either, will Injinji's be better than many socks out there? I think they will and they will without a doubt be better than no socks at all. I'm not someone often troubled with blisters. But when I do get them, I find it is more often from my shoes as opposed to my socks. I get them at some point where my foot rubs against my shoe not my socks screwing something up. For example if you always get them on your right inner arch, it probably has more to do with the posting in the shoe you're running in. Or if you get them on the medial side of your left big toe, I'd say it has more to do with the width of the toe box as opposed to your sock.

Now, I'd also like to add, good running socks, be they Injinji or a good closed toe brand like Feetures are very important. I won't run more than 3 miles unless I'm in a sock specific for running made with modern wicking fabrics. I believe is incredibly important to avoiding blisters. Running 10 miles in 100% cotton gym socks isn't a wise move.

Just my two cents.

I'm an Injinji die hard when used in combination with Newton running shoes. I love the Newton Gravity and Distance models - it's like adding a turbo charger to your gait.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an Injinji die hard when used in combination with Newton running shoes. I love the Newton Gravity and Distance models - it's like adding a turbo charger to your gait.

I whole heartedly agree with this. That Energy Return thing they advertise I actually believe. I run faster in my Newton's than anything else. They also make a really nice racing flat for shorter distances. MV line.

Have to check those out...never heard of them and I've finally come to the conclusion that my Superfeet insoles combined with my Sauconys are causing the blisters...so dabbling with new shoes is in order

Ran my 1/2 marathon last Saturday in Injiji's and happy to report zero blister issues. I am up to around 4 or 5 pair now & really like them. My family doesn't even make fun of them anymore...:blush:

I have been looking at Newton shoes recently also. With the introduction of the different "POP" levels (1, 2 & 3), they are a less intimidating transition. I tried on a pair of Newton Fates and thought that the upper was a great match for my foot. Very comfortable, high quality shoe.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shop/men-running-shoes

I have also looked at Altra and found them to be very comfortable, but I am not ready to make the jump to a zero drop shoe yet.

Last edited:
Ran my 1/2 marathon last Saturday in Injiji's and happy to report zero blister issues. I am up to around 4 or 5 pair now & really like them. My family doesn't even make fun of them anymore...:blush:

I have been looking at Newton shoes recently also. With the introduction of the different "POP" levels (1, 2 & 3), they are a less intimidating transition. I tried on a pair of Newton Fates and thought that the upper was a great match for my foot. Very comfortable, high quality shoe.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shop/men-running-shoes

I have also looked at Altra and found them to be very comfortable, but I am not ready to make the jump to a zero drop shoe yet.

I would look at the Newton Sir Isaacs. I think they've discontinued them, but you can still find them at a hefty discount. Really good transition shoes.

Top Bottom