What's new

Aristocrat cleaning advice

Picked up what I believe is a mid 40's Aristocrat today, (will post pics when I can). It was sold as is having not been cleaned. It even had a Gillette Blue razor blade in it. It has some gold plate wear in spots and I think there is soap gunk buildup that is affecting the movement of the doors. I was thinking of putting it in hot water with dish-washing liquid for a start. Is this a good idea? If so, how long should it soak? What other steps should I take? I have Dirtex, (both powder and spray), would this be a good cleaner to use, or would it be too harsh? thanks for any advice.

Boil water (not the razor!) and soak with dish-washing liquid as long as necessary (at least half an hour)!
Repeat soaking as many times as necessary!

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures after cleaning.

$photo(8).jpg$photo(9).jpg$photo(10).jpg

Gave it a go with an Astra SP blade and was very impressed. Not overly aggressive, but more aggressive than I expected. A DFS. As I said above, it had a Gillette Blue blade inside. Anyone know how long those were made? It would be interesting to know what roughly the latest time it would have been used.

Gave it a go with an Astra SP blade and was very impressed. Not overly aggressive, but more aggressive than I expected. A DFS. As I said above, it had a Gillette Blue blade inside. Anyone know how long those were made? It would be interesting to know what roughly the latest time it would have been used.

The blade should have a date code.

The blade should have a date code.

Well, this is interesting....the blade has a C and a 2 on it, which if I understand right, means 2nd quarter of 1932. As the Aristocrat is a late 40's razor, I would have to guess that the blade was already old when it was used. Maybe it was from the original supply that I assume came in the case with the razor.

Top Bottom