What's new

Paraben-Free Matte Clay/Fiber Product?

I'll be having a baby girl in the fall :)thumbup:), and while I know there's no hard evidence that parabens cause health problems, I'd rather be safe than sorry now that I'm going to be a father. I have thick, brown hair that looks crazy unless I put product in it, and "strong hold" matte clay/fiber products seem to work the best. I've been mostly using American Crew Fiber on my hair for the past several years with good results, but I'm looking for a similar product that doesn't contain parabens. I've been using Mitch Reformer for the past few weeks with pretty good results, although it doesn't quite have the hold I'd like. I'll be happy to stick with it if I can't find anything better, but I'm specifically looking for a pliable clay/fiber product that's paraben-free, provides good hold, isn't hard to wash out, and allows me to run my fingers through my hair without having to wash my hand and without my hair losing too much of its hold. Does this product exist? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Baxter of California Clay Pomade.

It has very good hold, and a quite minimalist list of unharmful ingredients :

Petrolatum, Bentonite (CI 77004), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Dicaprylyl Maleate, Ethylhexyl Stearate,Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, VP/VA Copolymer.

It is on the expensive side, but not that much more compared to American Crew Fiber for what you get.

The reviews I read everywhere about this product are all positive.

Trust me, I have tried almost any hair product out there : American Crew, Paul Mitchell, Redken, Sachajuan, Aveda, Kerastase, etc). Nothing comes close to Clay Pomade.

Thanks! I'll have to try that if I can get my hands on it for a decent price... Is it easy to wash out? I'm also considering picking up some Woody's clay (if it's returnable), but I see that that's petrolatum-based. I've always felt like my hair has gotten greasy and the product is hard to wash out when I've used petrolatum-based products before. Is that always the case?

Well, for me Clay Pomade washes out OK with a few minutes massaing my hair under warm shower water. Can't say if this removes 100% of the product though.

I shampoo every other day and never had any problems cleaning my hair.

Petrolatum-based products are, indeed, harder to wash out compared to water-based products. However, they often offer a greater hold in my experience.

Woody's Clay is also on my short list of to-try products, but is hard to find in Canada.

Allow me to refer you to the EWG's website if ingredients contained in common products are important to you. They rate each product from 1 to 10 based on their ingredients. :

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/238961/Baxter_of_California_Clay_Pomade/

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/472991/Woody's_Clay_Matte_Finish_with_Firm_Flexible_Hold/

Top Bottom