What's new

Bonavita Drip Coffee Maker

I can't say for sure, but I think the beans are consistent. They are not roasted in the store.

Do you have a roasting machine or do you roast yours stovetop?

Local Costco and I get the most recently roasted. I go through a 2.2 lb bag in 3 or 4 weeks. When I open a bag, I split it into 2 glass jars with airtight lids. I store them in a dark drawer and only open the second when the first is gone. Is there a better way, or is it just too much to buy at a time? It is really delicious and about $10.50 for a kilo. Even if I through 1/4 or so away, it is still much cheaper than buying smaller quantities.
You can get vacuum storage containers, but I think your method is about the best you can do, other than buying smaller quantities of freshly roasted coffee. As coffee starts to go flat a couple of weeks after roasting and even more so by a few months later. But that doesn't mean you can not enjoy your coffee with good preparation; as there are still good flavors to be found as well as the caffeine.

I don't have much firsthand experience with storing coffee by freezing it as compared to using a vacuum or air-escape type of container. I am skeptical that either approach makes enough of a difference to be worth the extra effort or cost, though many people may disagree. If choosing to freeze then one should divide and freeze in small enough quantities to drink in a week or so, so that the whole amount can thawed at once as condensation/re-freezing the same coffee beans have been reported to be detrimental to flavor.

Lately I have been dividing my home roasted beans into smaller containers for storage, so that later half or third(s) can stay locked in their airtight containers until the first portion is consumed, as a way to simulate an air escape container. But I have not used this approach long enough to determine how much it helps. So even though I am a little skeptical I am experimenting with ways to increase shelf life. Depending on how these experiments go, I may even try freezing small quantities rather than dismiss it.

Local Costco and I get the most recently roasted. I go through a 2.2 lb bag in 3 or 4 weeks.

You are buying TOO MUCH coffee at a time.

Get only enough that you can drink in 7-10 days if you want it to taste fresh.

Freezing and vacuum storing are good for within this 7-10 day window but after a couple weeks you might as well be drinking Foldgers.

I took 2 lbs with me on an extended trip and I can tell you that it was difficult to choke down the last couple pots of the beans I roasted the day before we left.

Get only what you can drink in a week or so if you want to drink good tasting coffee.

I just got pissed off with my Keurig VUE enough and placed an order with Clive Coffee for a BV 1900TS. New model replaced the glass lined thermos carafe with double wall stainless steel, a bit different heating element, flat bottom basket and wider shower head. Also adds a bloom capability. Can't wait to try it out.

If my Bunn CWTF15-1 could do pre-infusion I would be set for life. As it is now..... manual pre-iunfusion is a bit tricky. I already rinse the filter over the carafe so need to empty the hot water from the carafe and manually pre-infuse over the carafe, then into the brewer and make the coffee. The taste is worth it but the hassle just isn't worth it most of the time :sad:

proxy.php

I picked up a Bonavita 1900 with stainless carafe earlier this week. I've made 4 or 5 pots with it. I was going to say that in its price range its a great coffee maker, but nix that. In ANY price range this is a great drip coffee maker. I am so glad I decided to try one of these. Night and day difference over what I was using. I can't say enough about what a great cup of coffee this unit produces. Simple to use, easy to clean. Time will tell how long it lasts but it appears to be very well made.

:thumbup1:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I picked up a Bonavita 1900 with stainless carafe earlier this week. I've made 4 or 5 pots with it. I was going to say that in its price range its a great coffee maker, but nix that. In ANY price range this is a great drip coffee maker. I am so glad I decided to try one of these. Night and day difference over what I was using. I can't say enough about what a great cup of coffee this unit produces. Simple to use, easy to clean. Time will tell how long it lasts but it appears to be very well made.

:thumbup1:

Wow! Congratulations, and thanks for the review! You just about make me want to go out and buy one. I don't even want a drip maker, but you make me wonder what I'm missing!

Wow! Congratulations, and thanks for the review! You just about make me want to go out and buy one. I don't even want a drip maker, but you make me wonder what I'm missing!

Costco had them on sale this month, I couldn't resist. Very glad I tried one. I've gone through a series of Krups over the past 2 decades and decided to end the cycle. They seem to only last a few years. Will see what kind of mileage I get out of the Bonavita. It is just a drip maker and certainly their are better ways of making gourmet coffee. Most mornings in my house are busy and I don't want to take the time for a pour-over or the mess of a French press. I have both....but seem to use an auto drip 95% of the time. The Bonavitas ability to maintain near 200 degree water works very well. I am impressed.

The way the Bonavita works is very similar to a pour over method. I've had mine for 2 years, and had the glass lined insulated pot. That carafe finally went South, and I replaced it with the stainless carafe. It hasn't missed a beat.

Good to hear yours is still going strong Bob. I brewed another pot with the 1900 this morning with stellar results. I'm quite pleased with this purchase. :001_cool:

I've owned a Bonavita pour over for 5+ years now. We got ours with the thermal carafe but soon realized that is bulky and pointless since we drink our coffee right away and got a Melitta glass coffee pot. If making less than 5 cups in the Bonavita I suggest passing 2 cups of water only to heat up the machine. It's a fast unit and I don't even notice the wait since I'm grinding at the same time. The Bonavita is SCAA approved also.

I have a bonavita 5-cup and LOVE it. Purchased mid-winter, and have used it most every day since. I only run filtered water through it, and I clean it per bonavita's instructions (so far only once). To me, its just as wonderful of a cup as pour-over except that I can push a button and walk away and do other things. It makes 2 mugs of coffee, I have a big mug and my travel mug is the same size.

What gets me is people that think my coffee maker was expensive, yet they own a Keurig...

I have a bonavita 5-cup and LOVE it. Purchased mid-winter, and have used it most every day since. I only run filtered water through it, and I clean it per bonavita's instructions (so far only once). To me, its just as wonderful of a cup as pour-over except that I can push a button and walk away and do other things. It makes 2 mugs of coffee, I have a big mug and my travel mug is the same size.

What gets me is people that think my coffee maker was expensive, yet they own a Keurig...

Good point Keuring is the most expensive coffee by weight bar none.

Top Bottom