What's new

Finally bought an Ark

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've been wanting an ark for a while now. Mark sent me a pm last week titled "I think I found you a good one", and that he did. (Thanks mark!). It's 8 inches long and just under 2 wide. It had some brown spots when it arrived that went away quickly in a simple green bath. It's dead flat, but not quite razor ready. Label on box says norton hard Arkansas, original Pike quality. I'm pretty pumped about it and will update as I get the surface broken in. Here's some before and afters

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 949
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 943
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 950
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 942
I love my translucent, it hasn't seen much use since the JNAT arrived, but seeing this is making me want to break it back out.... Mine seemed to take more strokes than the JNAT, but leaves great edges when the proper time is allowed.

I'm interested to hear your assessment of the stone, and how it compares to other stones you have. It looks like that bath did it a world of good!

That looks really nice!

The only trouble is, I'm sure I can hear my hard black Arkie in the distances calling "Please get me a brother that looks like that!"

David

I'm interested to hear your assessment of the stone, and how it compares to other stones you have. It looks like that bath did it a world of good!
The simple green is unreal. I couldn't believe how clean it was after a couple hours of soaking. I'm excited to use the stone but its gonna be a while. It needs a good bit of lovin to be ready for razors.

David

That looks really nice!

The only trouble is, I'm sure I can hear my hard black Arkie in the distances calling "Please get me a brother that looks like that!"
Glad to enable whenever possible. Lol

The simple green is unreal. I couldn't believe how clean it was after a couple hours of soaking. I'm excited to use the stone but its gonna be a while. It needs a good bit of lovin to be ready for razors.

Beautiful stone David, congratulations. And yes, Simple Green is simply wonderful and of course, environmentally friendly.

Looking forward to hearing reports of it's performance.

Frank

David

Any advanced tips on smoothing this trans out other than running hard steel over it?

Gamma, do you have any vids with an Arkie? I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I love your vids and if you have It would be worth watching.

Last edited:
Any advanced tips on smoothing this trans out other than running hard steel over it?

That's just about the only way I know of to get them 'there'. Extensive lapping on w/d to 2k first helped though.

Gamma, do you have any vids with an Arkie?

Coming soon. I only have a SB Ark, and shooting 300 finishing laps might be a bit too much to deal with, so I want to do something different. I have a new Maruka Kiita that I want to do a clip on first though.

My experience with the translucents is that it is best to leave them off at around 400x-800x and let the metal do the rest. For grunt work, ~1/2 tsp. of 120x to 320x silicon carbide powder and a little water on a granite slab (6" x 18" in my case) will flatten things, followed by the wet-dry sandpaper sequence. I have sanded the trans to 2000x and found it over the top--molten in sensation. Black hard Arkansas to 2000x works fine in my book, since it is harder and does not give out like the trans at this stage. Dedicated oil use assumed here.

Last edited:
Had I known how nice it would turn out, there's the ever so strong possibility that I'd have bid on it myself. Need another I don't, but that's one fine looking arkie.

Nice score.
I got a 4 incher on the bay the other day. It's currently with my folks in the UK so I don't know what it is like - translucent or not (might just be a washita) - have to wait till after my holidays to get it.

David

My experience with the translucents is that it is best to leave them off at around 400x-800x and let the metal do the rest. For grunt work, ~1/2 tsp. of 120x to 320x silicon carbide powder and a little water on a granite slab (6" x 18" in my case) will flatten things, followed by the wet-dry sandpaper sequence. I have sanded the trans to 2000x and found it over the top--molten in sensation. Black hard Arkansas to 2000x works fine in my book, since it is harder and does not give out like the trans at this stage. Dedicated oil use assumed here.
Interesting. I thought the idea was to get them as smooth as possible. I hit mine on some 5 micron film on granite and its smooth as glass now. But you think this is too smooth Alum?

Top Bottom