What's new

Lathering bowl - smooth or textured bottom?

When I'm using creams, I like to use a lathering bowl. I'm currently using a salsa bowl which has a smooth bottom and sides and it has been working fine for me. When I look around, I've seen scuttles and lathering bowls that have various textured bottoms. Some have swirls, some have spider web type patterns, some have raised ridges and others dimples. Do the various textured bottoms make an appreciable difference when lathering? (making lathering easier or lather more luxurious?) Do some patterns or styles work better than others? If so, would raised patterns or concave patterns work better?

For a while I entertained the idea of getting a scuttle but I concluded that the extra fuss wasn't really worth the very short-lived reward. I still like the idea of an attractive ceramic lathering bowl and was wondering if I should be seeking out or commissioning one with a textured or smooth bottom. It seems like a textured bottom would increase the introduction of air and make for a quicker, easier lather. What are your thoughts or experience?

As an aside, has anyone altered their smooth bottomed bowl to give it some texture?

I prefer to use a textured bottom. Both my scuttle and mug which I use most regularly have swirled ridges in the bottom and in my mind that helps with the lather build. Saying that my Old Spice mug is smooth at the bottom and that works perfectly for me too, in fact my first shave mug was smooth at the bottom and sides too, ah! My opinion has changed, it doesn't matter , its just what you prefer. I get great lathers from both.... I have been enlightened by the shave gods!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've lathered with small, medium and large mugs, all smooth. Never had a problem. I now use a Dirty Bird original scuttle with the swirly ridges. I'd say the ridges help a bit, but not as much as some rave about; it doesn't make better lather, but is probably a little faster. If you can't make lather, ridges aren't a magic cure; better to learn lathering, then get something classier than a mug. In all honesty I think it's a case of 6 one, half a dozen of the other. A nice ceramic bowl will add some small amount of class, but is not necessary

I have a smooth stainless bowl for lathering, and I have a RAB scuttle which is textured. I believe the textured bowl does improve lather making capabilities, but by no means is it impossible to make a good lather in a smooth bowl. I'd say if it is economical and easy to get a textured bowl then go for it, but I wouldn't spend crazy money or go out of my way. I achieve better results when face lathering than bowl lathering 100% of the time so my bowl and scuttle rarely get used aside from soaking my brushes.

I think a bowl or mug with raised lines that run from the bottom to the top is superior to one with a spiral or concentric circles.
I have one bowl with a coarse interior that does an excellent job.
A smooth interior will do a very good job but texture of any kind helps introduce air into the lather and helps beat down the big bubbles to much smaller ones that comprise a good lather.

Mickey

I've used a stoneware bowl and a small stainless steel bowl. Neither have ridges but it's certainly possible to build a great lather in either. I'd love to get a nice shaving mug or a textured bowl but it's purely for enjoyment and class.

If I read you right, you're saying that most bottoms start smooth but end up textured over time.

As far as lathering bowls are concerned, though, I don't think it really makes much difference. I've been using smooth bowls for 5 years without any trouble. Get a bowl that makes you happy and lather away.

I have some of both and I primarily use creams with them, and sometimes soaps and I do not notice an appreciable difference between smooth (my majority) or textured bottoms. Someone else mentioned don't go crazy with the price. Several of these "designer" bowls sell for around $50. One of my favorite ceramics is one I bought from an art department fund raising table at the local college for $8. I also have a couple of plastic salsa bowls that are perfectly adequate. Heck, even try one of your soup or cereal bowls, if you can pry it away from your girlfriend or wife!

Last edited:
I've seen the outrageous prices asked for ceramic shave items from the vendors on Etsy. When you add on the shipping, it's even worse.

When I was contemplating scuttles (since rejected) I started really digging the look of some of the hand made items but I can't see myself shelling out the bucks they want for them. There are a couple of family friends who sometimes work in clay. I'm pretty certain that if they are making some items that they could whip out a shaving bowl with little trouble based on some of their other work I've seen. I'm guessing I could get it from them for a reasonable price as well.

I have never had a "textured" shave bowl. I keep on breaking the ceramic or glass ones. I presently have a stainless steel bowl with a pedestal that gives me something more to hold on to. I might get one of these just because it looks so good (the handle is special, too) $22.

$Circles in Mug.jpg

Textured bottoms make a HUGE difference. Like really. A HUGE difference.

Just make sure they aren't too rough that they damage your brush. Any bowl specifically made for shaving will be fine. You do have to watch out for unglazed ceramics, or stuff like that, with rough textures.

I use one of those salsa bowls from Target or Wal-Mart. It came with a smooth bottom, but I took a utility knife blade and scored the bottom as best I could with it. I'm not sure it made any difference, though. My only real concern with the lather bowl is that it not have a white interior. If it does, I can't see what is happening with the lather.

For me, the texture doesn't make better lather - it just makes it faster. I have a beautiful little $3 Mexican talavera bowl with raised dots on the inside sides and bottom. It is glazed and very smooth. I would be concerned that a rough texture would be tough on a brush.

Also, for me, the palm of the hand is great for making lather.

Marty

When I'm using creams, I like to use a lathering bowl. I'm currently using a salsa bowl which has a smooth bottom and sides and it has been working fine for me. When I look around, I've seen scuttles and lathering bowls that have various textured bottoms. Some have swirls, some have spider web type patterns, some have raised ridges and others dimples. Do the various textured bottoms make an appreciable difference when lathering? (making lathering easier or lather more luxurious?) Do some patterns or styles work better than others? If so, would raised patterns or concave patterns work better?

For a while I entertained the idea of getting a scuttle but I concluded that the extra fuss wasn't really worth the very short-lived reward. I still like the idea of an attractive ceramic lathering bowl and was wondering if I should be seeking out or commissioning one with a textured or smooth bottom. It seems like a textured bottom would increase the introduction of air and make for a quicker, easier lather. What are your thoughts or experience?

As an aside, has anyone altered their smooth bottomed bowl to give it some texture?
I bought a salsa bowl and put a spyder web texture in the bowl it works like a charm it acts as a agitator to make loads of lather it cost me $ 1.42 from Wally World and my utility knife to make the web you have to be a little creative hey it works !

Though I don't participate much at all here any longer, I do still lurk and was surprised to see this thread pop up. It's now 9 years later so I thought I'd share what I ended up with and have been using for years. I ended up getting a hammered copper bowl off of Ebay. It stands just over 2" high and is 4-1/4" wide. It fits nicely in the palm of my hand and over the years has developed a nice patina as copper does so it looks great! There is no texture on the inside but it does have a recessed "foot" so the bowl can sit on a flat surface without tipping. The recessed foot does provide a ridge all along the curved bottom so it affords an edge to create agitation and the introduction of air when the brush works against it. It was definitely more expensive than a Walmart salsa bowl (which I also used for a while) but I love the look and feel of it so much more and it works great!

Top Bottom