What's new

Caught 100 SHARKS!

As a newb (shaving right for three months) I found the hardest thing to figure out was which blade to throw in my DE razors. This more than any other component of wet shaving seems to really be individual specific. Most people somewhat agree on which soaps, creams, razors, and even brushes are quality and do a decent job. Razor blades however are completely different person to person, about the only accepted truth are Feather blades are very sharp and high quality. It was frustrating trying to figure out which blades to order because most blades I'd research would have several people that loved them and then several people that hated them.
So I took the advice of so many on this forum and bought a 35 blade sampler, of all 35 blades two stuck out as top performers for me. Surprise surprise the feathers gave me a very close shave and I had little to no irritation, I found I could only get two shaves (three pass) out of a feather before I noticed a decline in performance. The other blade that really impressed me was the Shark Super Chromes. I also only get two really great shaves per blade before noticing a slight decline in performance but at 1/4 of the price of feathers I don't mind. I've also thrown the shark in my Merkur 39C slant on the third use and it still works very well, extending its life a bit.
Just like every other blade review I realize although these are now my favorite blade some of you I'm sure can't stand them. I almost didn't purchase 100 of them because you can find so many negative reviews about them. And I understand this after going through my sampler, so many blades I had heard great things about simply gave me a horrible shave or pulled and tugged or gave me tons of irritation. I got 100 of the Sharks for 10.80 delivered to my door in 2 days from a U.S. dealer on eBay. Like many of you I switched from the Mach12's because of the 3 dollar per cartridge cost. The price of these Sharks just adds to the joy of DE shaving for me.
For reference I have a very thick beard with relatively sensitive skin (neck area). I have used these in the following Merkur razors: Futur, Progress (long handle), 39c (long handle slant) and 20c. They perform great in all of them and never pull or tug on my beard, I have significantly less irritation in my neck area with these and get as smooth a shave as with the feathers.
The point of this rambling is don't let negative reviews keep you from trying a certain blade. Unless maybe every review you see is negative there's a good chance you'll find a cheap blade that performs great for you.

You said a lot. And good advice for everyone in there. I like the Shark SC myself and get 3 top quality shaves with them. Sharper than Astra SP but I get about 1 fewer shave from them. Three shaves and out. Everyone's MMV! =)

Some great advise there Sir, and although Sharks and my face don't get along as well as I would have liked I never would have tried some of my favorite blades had I just used reviews as my reason to try and not try blades.

Great post, and a big plus 1 to checking out all the razors you can to see what works for you. FWIW, I can use Shark SS, but not the chrome, and since I accidently bought 100 chromes, I'll be happy to pass them along to you if you want them. I live in Ohio as well, so you would get them quick.

Shark super stainless were my first 100-blade order, and I still enjoy them. I'm glad you didn't let the negative reviews sway you. The fact that they are ridiculously affordable (I think I paid about the same you did) is icing on the cake.

Shark SS are the ones for me - I find them extremely smooth and long lasting.
So I bought 300 of them at a ridiculously low price from www.bestshave.net, so I guess I'm good for 5 years or til death, whichever comes first.

Rasputin,
Your too kind Sir, I really appreciate that! I will gladly trade you a full bottle of Captains Choice bay rum sent aftershave? I tried it twice and my wife just doesn't care for the smell. Great product though, let me know if your interested. I will send you a PM as well.

Rasputin,
Your too kind Sir, I really appreciate that! I will gladly trade you a full bottle of Captains Choice bay rum sent aftershave? I tried it twice and my wife just doesn't care for the smell. Great product though, let me know if your interested. I will send you a PM as well.

That's funny must be an OH wife thing. My wife tells me I smell like the Xmas ham when I use CC Bay rum, while I like it. I think it's definitely a good choice for an AS. Howdy fellow Buckeye.

That's funny must be an OH wife thing. My wife tells me I smell like the Xmas ham when I use CC Bay rum, while I like it. I think it's definitely a good choice for an AS. Howdy fellow Buckeye.

We're practically neighbors...I live in Medina County.

7OH8, I sent you a PM with my address, and thanks for the AS...I'll give it a go.

That is funny, I bought the bay rum because everyone seemed to really love it saying it was very mellow compared to most bay rums. It feels really nice on your face, gives a warming sensation and less sting than a lot of aftershaves. The wife smelled too much clove, which is funny because most reviewers say they don't smell clove in this bay rum. She is not fond of spicy type aftershaves though.

For you fellow buckeyes if your not already aware Columbus has a great wet shaving store called The Rivers Edge Cutlery. They have been around for a decade and used to sell mostly knives, recently they bought out a barber supply shop here in Columbus and subsequently largely expanded their wet shaving products. Huge selection of creams, soaps, and aftershaves as well as brushes, blades and razors. Definitely worth stopping by if your in the area (Hiliard/west side c-bus). Just FYI.

Rasputin,
im so glad our trade worked out! Always nice when a product preserves domestic tranquility. Haaaa

Top Bottom