What's new

What are the benefits of a single edged razor

[SIE=5]I've been wet shaving for 2 years and have yet to try a single edged razor. Just the other day, one of my sons asked me why I haven't tried one. What are the benefits of a single edged razor?[SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the SE more intuitive to get angles right, especially with a 1912, 1924 or Gbar design.
Injectors are even easier but possibly slightly less efficient.

I don't know if there are any advantages - it's just different. The blade is significantly stiffer than DE blades and, for me, last a little longer.

I don't know if there are any advantages - it's just different. The blade is significantly stiffer than DE blades and, for me, last a little longer.

I did get a smoother shave, but that could be technique between the DE and SE.

I have tried both GEM Blue Star and the PFTE blades, and while the shaves are great they do not last as long as a DE for me (%-6 days of shaving).

Definitely worth a try.

I have officially tried both a traditions SE and an injector, and while I will not be giving up my DE razors, I certainly will not be getting rid of the SE razors either. Nice change of pace sometimes.

Shick Injectors are very fast shavers! If you're in a rush and need to shave quickly, those razors get the job done and give an amazing shave. Be careful of the Type E. It is a great razor, but very aggressive.

I go back and forth between SE and DE all the time. I'd say the biggest difference is how easy it is for the SE design to allow a shallower blade angle, which I think contributes the most overall to the guys who find the shave to be smoother. Like Jim, I also find that I like the extra stiffness of the blade, and the fact that I can get more shaves out of them brings their equivalent cost-per-shave down in line with DE blades.

Great thoughts here!

For me, the stiffer blade mows through stubble without any pulling, I experienced a lot of pulling/tugging with DEs. And because, for me, the SE shaves closer and with more aggression, I can use fewer passes, lessening the chances for irritation - basically, you get better results with less effort.

i think i'd like to give it a try. is an old school gem the way to go? any suggestions on an se razor? are there any modern se's out there? also, are there many blade options/what do people like?
this is a great forum!

i think i'd like to give it a try. is an old school gem the way to go? any suggestions on an se razor? are there any modern se's out there? also, are there many blade options/what do people like?
this is a great forum!

Try a GEM or Ever Ready 1912 as a starter razor. For the least amount of maintenance, use GEM Stainless blades coated with PTFE. Don't buy paint scraper blades--be sure that they are for shaving use. The only SEs currently manufactured are the Cobras, King and Classic, from Classic Shaving.

I find the SE more intuitive to get angles right, especially with a 1912, 1924 or Gbar design.

Injectors are even easier but possibly slightly less efficient.
I have no experience I can recall with a 1924 SE type. I had a hand-me down of some sort when I was 14, and bought one for myself soon after giving up on DEs back then. Neither one survived the half century since I mastered DEs, nor has my memory preserved much about any razor from my teen years.

Personally, I get a better shave overall with Injectors than DEs or Gem type SEs, but I get great shaves with any decent quality shaving instrument. I have new to me SEs now, a 1912, a couple of Micromatics, a Gbar, and a Featherweight. More of my single edge models are Schick Injectors, though.

Does the ATT King Cobra qualify as a injector?I prefer it over all my DE razors for the sheer fact I can get in places easier than with the DE.The shave also seems to get somewhat closer using the same company Feather blades[Feather pro on the KC] I will never give up my DE razors but I do find myself shaving 4 days with the KC & 3 days with the DE!

Technically, the Cobras (both of them) do not qualify as injectors because they are not directly loaded from a separate injector magazine--even though they look and shave very much like an injector. Personally, I don't mind calling them Injectors, although a purist would disagree. They do, however, qualify as Single Edged razors, and superb ones at that.

BTW, they are not made by ATT. They are made by Classic Shaving.

To qualify one of the first responses, the blade is firmer which gives a less irritable shave. DE blades can still give that micro-fine difference in shave, some patches very close, some not quite so close, some sub-cutaneous. SE blades shave straight as a die - regrowth is smoother and more level.

For me, that's all ...

Oh, and the noise. The feedback from something like a 1912 or a Streamline ... or a Le Grelot wedge razor with a GEM strapped in, super! You KNOW you're shaving when you shave with a single edge razor.

Top Bottom