What's new

Preparing for my first SR shave

The AUST is practically yelling at this point to be let off the chain! :lol:

Anyway, I realized that despite all the vids and reading I have been doing, I am not sure if I should have 1 or 2-3 days worth of beard growth? I know the SR with plow through anything, but I am thinking about which is more important, a buffer or minimal beard to make it easier to get those short strokes and avoid tugging to my less than confident and familiar hand!

TIA for your time and attention. I am psyched! :biggrin1:

Congrats and let him off!!!

No need to let your beard grow, or not. Whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally think it would be easier with just a day's growth. Too much hair and soap and you may have trouble keeping track of where your edge is. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congrats and let him off!!!

No need to let your beard grow, or not. Whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally think it would be easier with just a day's growth. Too much hair and soap and you may have trouble keeping track of where your edge is. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.

+1 Larry is right. For the first few times, it might be easier to deal with one days growth. Until you have your angles and skin stretching dialed in.

Congrats and welcome! Just do whatever is comfortable. Although I would advise not trying to pile through too much growth for the first few shaves.

Try 150-200 proper laps on the strop and you might get the edge back. You are not removing much if any steel, just aligning and polishing. One lap = there and back. Note than even though he has a limp strop he is very light. I completely changed my technique from watching this video and my results improved dramatically. Also the light grip saves the hand and arm from tiring. If you have trouble with the link, Search Youtube Liam Finnegan stropping. By the way there are threads on a less popular SR forum that mock Liam's technique. They are kind of funny since this seasoned barber has spent more time on a strop than most if not anyone.

http://youtu.be/2h1GC34yyKE

Last edited:
Top Bottom