What's new

Tabac as mosquito repellent.

Someone mentioned on another post that mosquitos don't like the scent of Tabac.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've used Avon, Skin-so-soft, for years as a mosquito repellent and it works really well.

I think it would be great if Tabac did the same thing.

:cool:

I've used Avon, Skin-so-soft, for years as a mosquito repellent and it works really well.

Nicotine is a natural insecticide, but I have no idea if there is any in Tabac. Even if it is present, I would have to believe that it would be such a minute quantity that it would not have any repellent effect.

It is possible that some other ingredient would have some mild repellent effect. The repellent effect of Skin-so-soft has been overplayed. The repellent effect that it does possess is marginal at best, and is very short lived.

I would not recommend that anyone rely on this if they live in an area with mosquito-borne disease activity present (West Nile, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, St. Louis Encephalitis, etc.). The CDC recommends only repellents containing either DEET or Picaridin. Many people do not like the smell or the feel of DEET, but Picaridin-based repellents (such as Cutter Advanced) do not have those drawbacks. It has almost no smell and does not have that greasy feeling that DEET does.

I am the Director of a Mosquito Abatement District in south Louisiana. If I get some time, I may conduct an informal test to determine if Tabac has any noticeable repellent effect. I'll need to get my hands on some first (I love the soap, but have not bought any of the AS, EDT, or EDC.)

Sounds like you're just the guy to get to the bottom of this! Perhaps you can purchase an experimental supply of Tabac on the company tab.

All in the name of science.

Not sure about Tabac, but I know that 4711 does contain an extract similar to that used in citronella candles.

:cool:

That was me. I was talking about the awful scent of Wilkinson shaving soap in the blue bowl. Never said anything about good old Tabac.

I imagine Williams might possibly get the same reaction from mosquitoes, smells like citronella to me. I can tell you that bees do like Aqua Velva :eek:.

Top Bottom