What's new

Clean out old EdT bottle?

I have a small half-ounce bottle that had Aramis in it, now used up, and it's the perfect size for travel. At the same time, my Guerlain Vetiver is too large for hand-luggage, so my idea was to spray some into this little Aramis bottle and use that while on the road.
I've rinsed it out, kept just water in it for a few days, yet the Aramis smell lingers.
Two questions:
Anyone got any bright ideas on how to clean the Aramis fragrance out completely so I can fill 'er up with Vetiver?
Is there any reason NOT to do this - I'm assuming there is really no significant loss in the one extra step of spraying into a container, holding for a few days, and then just dabbing it on?

Thanks

http://www.ehow.com/how_6592485_clean-perfume-bottles.html. Best I could come up with, though someone on Basenotes suggested a rinse with alcohol (didn't way what kind). Imagine any loss would be vaporization as you spray into the bottle. Do know I tried cleaning a plastic container with very poor results. Good luck with your project. It does sound like a good idea. I am about out in a small travel bottle of Caron, but will put some of the same Caron into it.

I do this all the time as it's just more convenient to use smaller decant sized sprayers, especially for travel like you're doing. I use a double sometimes triple alcohol cleansing system. In other words, fill up with clean alcohol, shake it around, then spray it out - discard any remaining alcohol. Repeat a second time and completely disassemble and let air dry for at least a week. If residual odor remains repeat. Give it time. If fragrance odor still exists, just ignore it and fill up with whatever. It shouldn't affect anything. I often do this with samples as I find it's easier to get an impression by spraying. After a few uses like this, I discard and find a new one. But I'll do reuse 3-5 fragrances over again in the sample atomizer - depending on the fragrances used - without any detriment.

I'm mot sure if this will work or not (fragrance experts chime in)but you could squeeze some lemon juice into it and swish it around for a little while and then rinse it out. I know it works for funky water bottles. I also throw a lemon in my garbage disposal when it needs to freshen up.

I do this all the time as it's just more convenient to use smaller decant sized sprayers, especially for travel like you're doing.
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, but just to say that the Aramis bottle is not a decant sprayer. It's actually a half fluid-oz bottle that I purchased, with a screw-on lid and not a sprayer, like this.
But it still should work well I think, based on all comments so far.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, but just to say that the Aramis bottle is not a decant sprayer. It's actually a half fluid-oz bottle that I purchased, with a screw-on lid and not a sprayer, like this.
But it still should work well I think, based on all comments so far.

yeah, the main thing is that the fragrance oils will be dissolved/absorbed by a medium, such alcohol, or even lemon juice as mentioned above - also, if left to dry/air out, the any residuals will evaporate - the main thing is not to rush it - rinse well a couple of times and give it a week or two to air out

You may want to use 91% isopropyl alcohol if you can find it easily. I have an impression that the stronger the "solvent" the more effective it is. I could be wrong. Soeone can tell me if I am. But at least it dries very quickly.

You may want to use 91% isopropyl alcohol if you can find it easily. I have an impression that the stronger the "solvent" the more effective it is. I could be wrong. Soeone can tell me if I am. But at least it dries very quickly.

No, this is true. I buy the highest concentration when available.

What I'd do is put some Guerlain in the bottle (perhaps a 10th), shake it around and use it up over the next few weeks. The Guerlain Vetiver will be slighted contaminated by the Aramis, but I doubt it will be particularly noticeable.

When you next go to fill the bottle, the bottle will smell of Guerlain Vetiver, and you can fill it to the brim.
Regards,
Renato

I use a combination of alcohol and barbacide( you can buy this at Sally's). Let it sit for a day, then rinse with water and let dry.

Top Bottom