What's new

Red Tip vs. Slims

Slims are currently my go to razor for the past 6 months. Amazing razor and very easy to use not too aggressive, great shaves all the time. So I wanted someting tad a bit more aggressive, so red tip came up in most reviews as agressive. So was hunting on ebay looking at the price trend not really thinking of buying, I bid thinking ill be outbid (you know 1 of those idiotic moments) and I won. The red tip was quite nice specimen, I thought overall good deal for ebay.
I used it once, had a couple of weeks of growth and it was disappointing it was pretty mild. Ok I should clarify I use my slims at 8 wtg n xtg n 6 atg. So red tip is not agressive if I use the slims at high settings? Anybody has the same experience?

Take a look at the wiki for some comparisons. The nice thing about the Slim - or any other adjustable for that matter - is that you can make it mild or aggressive as you see fit.

I set all Slims, plus one Fatboy to the same #7 for all passes, Super Adjustable to #8, and I'd say the Red Tip comes in at about #5.

Last edited:
The Red Tip is the more aggressive of the Super Speed models but I think it's still considered a fairly mild razor. I know for me it's maybe only a hair more aggressive than a regular 50's flare tip SS. I really like them but sold mine recently due to lack of use.

Gents, let me get this right the red tip is abt the same EJ89L in terms of the blade exposure? I've really wasted my money then.

Blade exposure isn't the only thing that makes a razor aggressive. Weight, head design and other factors really effect it. According to that chart, a Slim on 1 is the same as a Tech and I get a much, much closer shave with a Tech than any adjustable set to 1.

I probably have to retract my earlier statement, 2nd time using the red tip and it's pretty good. I can do scrubbing which I can't with slims because of the high settings probably and secondly I didn't have much of a growth. It's mild but very effective.

Gents, let me get this right the red tip is abt the same EJ89L in terms of the blade exposure? I've really wasted my money then.

Nope. Cash not wasted. At a minimum you at least have a new experience. At the max, you have an experience then get your cash back on the BST.

Ain't life grand?

Top Bottom