What's new

Is it just me that doesn't get the DLC thing with razors?

Hi

As above , Is it just me that doesn't get the DLC thing with razors? Each to there own but most of the ones I have seen look like they are made of plastic, I don't get it, personally also I would rather see companies working on new models than new finishes but that is just me , rant over

Hi,

This engineer figures it is a fix to stop the rust film that tends to form on sintered 316 stainless steel.....

Stan

There are a lot of things I don't get with wet shaving. $50 zamak razors, exotic soap fragrances (that you wash down the sink), multi hundred dollar shaving brushes, straight razors that look like a japanese custom van, "boutique" shops selling the hell out of crappy melt and pour soap, replating lousy ebay razors when you could just buy a minty one for the same price, etc etc.

I just try to ignore it all.

Originally, I thought the point of DLC coatings was to reduce to coefficient of friction, but this subject does not come up often enough for me to believe anyone perceives much of a difference. There have already been a number of members who have, in the past, had problems with DLC flaking off. So, what is the advantage?

I have an Ikon DLC slant and the coating is already starting to disappear from the inside of top plate.
Very minimal but I figure it will only get worse.

Originally, I thought the point of DLC coatings was to reduce to coefficient of friction, but this subject does not come up often enough for me to believe anyone perceives much of a difference. There have already been a number of members who have, in the past, had problems with DLC flaking off. So, what is the advantage?

I could take or leave the look of it, personally, but I do like the feel. I have one of the original Weber DLCs, and the slightly pebbled finish creates noticeably less drag on my face than highly polished heads. Obviously, that has less to do with the "DL-ness" of it, and and any similar texturing would probably replicate the feel. Still, I don't have many modern-production razors that stay in my rotation, but the Weber head has kept its place so far.

There are a lot of things I don't get with wet shaving. $50 zamak razors, exotic soap fragrances (that you wash down the sink), multi hundred dollar shaving brushes, straight razors that look like a japanese custom van, "boutique" shops selling the hell out of crappy melt and pour soap, replating lousy ebay razors when you could just buy a minty one for the same price, etc etc.

I just try to ignore it all.

To each his own, of course, but I'm with you. My blue tip Superspeed loaded with a Personna Lab, and some Arko lathered up with my $20 Kent synthetic brush, is all I really need for an enjoyable, close shave.

I could take or leave the look of it, personally, but I do like the feel. I have one of the original Weber DLCs, and the slightly pebbled finish creates noticeably less drag on my face than highly polished heads. Obviously, that has less to do with the "DL-ness" of it, and and any similar texturing would probably replicate the feel. Still, I don't have many modern-production razors that stay in my rotation, but the Weber head has kept its place so far.

You raise an interesting point. A smooth but textured cap (pebbled or otherwise) sounds very appealing since it would likely have a tendency to break the adhesion that one feels between the surface of the skin and the cap. It is easy to overcome drag because there the positive leveraging effect of the handle combined with the added weight, but further reducing drag would likely make the whole process of shaving a little more enjoyable. So yes, maybe DLC is not necessary if the point is to increase lubricity.

I'm not sure there's anything better about the coating, but I do think the black is sort of cool looking compared to all my other razors. It's like the opposite of "ooh something shiny!" lol

Nope, DLC does nothing for me either, especially after a couple of the guys on a UK forum have had problems with it coming off on the latest batch of iKons.

You raise an interesting point. A smooth but textured cap (pebbled or otherwise) sounds very appealing since it would likely have a tendency to break the adhesion that one feels between the surface of the skin and the cap. It is easy to overcome drag because there the positive leveraging effect of the handle combined with the added weight, but further reducing drag would likely make the whole process of shaving a little more enjoyable. So yes, maybe DLC is not necessary if the point is to increase lubricity.

I have always wondered why there were not more matte finish razors on the market for this reason. It is why I bought the matte finish futur rather than the polished finish. A matte top cap for an R41 could be nice when using it at the shallow angle.

I guess we (generally speaking) just like shiny things, and perhaps now black weapon-esque looking things too.

I get it. But I don't really like the two tone look. I was pretty happy I could still get a 2013 style Ikon open comb still - I do love the more matte look.

I got it to match my awesome BRW handle! Can I really feel a difference compared to the non DLC open comb I also have? No. Actually the non-coated tends to have a velvety drag I like.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 104
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 104
I personally think DLC is really a ploy from the scrubbing bubbles manufactures, because DLC just makes your razors look so NASTY soooooo quickly. Soap scum shows like crazy!!! :lol:

I joke, but seriously…. they are impossible to keep clean unless you get a bit obsessive about it.

If Darth Vader shaves - he shaves with that razor.

edit: obviously, I'm talking about Shanman's awesome all black number up there.

Top Bottom