What's new

Finally got a reasonably good razor - have a few questions

I've re-tracked to DE shaving about three months back, but all I had were two identical Gilette razors with a plastic handle. They are average at best, and the plastic handle provides nothing in terms of razor self weight. I have been in search of a decent razor. I stay in India, and although some of the brands are manufactured here (Cadet, Parker etc.), unfortunately they are not sold here. So the only alternative left was to import one, but then the exchange rate and international shipping practically render that option unaffordable.

Then a few days back I saw an Indian ebay listing and the razor looked good in photo. Didn't cost a fortune too. Took a chance and ordered it last week, which came in yesterday. It's all metal, looks quite good with a black handle and is pretty hefty too with a heavy head. My guess is it weight upward of 100g.

Some pics -

$20140722_223409.jpg

$20140722_223427.jpg

Now onto the questions -

1. I did put a blade into it yesterday night just to see and noticed that I could see a little more of the blade edge than my earlier razors. Also, the gap between blade and the base plate seems more. Does that mean that the razor will be aggressive?
2. Would I need adjustments to my technique given the weight and other changes?

Here are a couple pics showing the blade in the razor -

$20140722_223713.jpg

$20140722_223727.jpg

$20140722_223748.jpg

Thanks everyone in advance for the replies.

These things like blade exposure and blade gap do usually mean more aggressive But not necessarily so it depends how much the blade edge protrudes from the plane created between the the top cap and guard bar. Try the razor out carefully for a first shave only planning to go with the grain (WTG) of your beard. Don't apply pressure; at 100 g the weight of the razor is plenty. Have some alum or styptic ready. Assess the shave before you attempt to go across the grain or against the grain. Go slow.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
These things like blade exposure and blade gap do usually mean more aggressive But not necessarily so it depends how much the blade edge protrudes from the plane created between the the top cap and guard bar. Try the razor out carefully for a first shave only planning to go with the grain (WTG) of your beard. Don't apply pressure; at 100 g the weight of the razor is plenty. Have some alum or styptic ready. Assess the shave before you attempt to go across the grain or against the grain. Go slow.
Excellent advice! I would add that the angle might be different from your previous Gillette. Like Glenn said, go slow until you know.:wink2:

Thanks guys. It sure is aggressive, but you don't come to know that on the first WTG pass. Start going XTG and it shows it's true nature.

Tried it with two different blades yesterday (BIC chrome platinum) and today (Shark). Will try with some other blade too.

I have another idea - maybe I'll try swapping the top portion of the head on my old razor with this and see whether that makes any difference in the blade exposure / angle.

An update -

I tried to mix-n-match handles and heads. What I did was use this razor's handle and bottom plate, while I put on the cap plate from my Gilette.

Now that was seriously interesting, and I'm lucky to have escaped with only a couple of weepers. The Gilette cap is flatter, and it only widened the blade gap. Combine that with the blad exposure this razor has, the razor was super aggressive, and since the bottom plate was supporting a smaller portion of the blade, there was some vibrating effect too. When I started shaving, it always felt that the blade wanted to pierce my skin instead of gliding over it - in spite of the angle.

Lesson learnt.

You, sir are a bold experimenter. Congratulations on your journey so far. As the others have posted, just go slow and adjust as you feel necessary. Good luck.

Top Bottom