What's new

W/r to the many Japanese restore auctions-Fake or restored: Can you resto vets help?

Hey all, I was looking at a Filarmonica or maybe a Friodur online located in Japan (I know - but there is a 100% rating on this seller).
Anyway, some of the offerings from this seller are obviously restos from the way the stampings look, but some of the stampings appear to be just slightly different than the originals that I have, and that makes me leery in spite of the 100% rating. If anyone is interested can they put a trained eye to it? Not accusing anyone, and it would seem like a losing proposition to counterfeit at this pricing, but I really don't want to get burned. I was on hiatus anyway so if I don't buy it isn't going to kill me. Just wanted a sanity check - could even be lighting effects on the image. I'm interested in you alls' opinion. Thanks for any assists!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U493-RARE-S...075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4238ffeb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U479-RARE-S...030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c40f8bb76

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111334910316?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

His stuff is legit.. I've bought some from him... His prices are mostly HIGH retail.. Also some items were sold specifically for the japan market... So it may look a little different but these look normal

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
He's legitimate and a good seller as far as my experience goes. He's very, very high on some things but quite reasonable on others. Never understood the pricing.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks all - I just purchased a Friodur from him (japan Nippon) so we'll see when it gets here. The price seemed fair and shipping was understandable. As long as I get it and it's undamaged then it's all good. I appreciate the reassurances and feedback. Had a similar experience with shaving style out of CA - great people to deal with!

He is awesome. I'm constantly trying to talk him down on things.

Never bought razors from him, other things yes. He is 100% legit.

I got a Western Style Japanese straight from him. The razor was in perfect conditions just as described.
My only disappointment was that I was expecting a super-japanese-samourai-killer edge. The razor arrived shave ready alright, smooth, but not super sharp.

+1 on this. japan_Nippon is an A+ eSeller in my opinion

To update: I received a Friodur 472 1/2 from him in beautiful shape. The photos caused some weird distortion that made the stampings look a little funny, but they are tru-blue Henckels (if not then I can't tell and that's all I care about - I tell my wife I don't have to BE the king of the castle as long as you make me believe that I am, lol). I agree on the edge though - it came 'shave ready' and it appears that the edge was polished (on a leather wheel or buffer possibly?). It had a decent edge, but I reset the bevel to my style and stropped it to a nice sharp (IMO) shaving edge. He was a great guy to deal with though and shipped quickly with tracking.

BTW, I'm really really starting to like the Henckels inox/no stain blades. I was stuck on the Dovo stainless blades for a while after I rusted a carbon steel straight in my damp luggage, but these take a beautiful edge that gives great feedback both honing/stropping and shaving. Maybe not a singing edge, if I understand that term correctly but it makes some nice music as it slides across the strop and face.

I got a Western Style Japanese straight from him. The razor was in perfect conditions just as described.
My only disappointment was that I was expecting a super-japanese-samourai-killer edge. The razor arrived shave ready alright, smooth, but not super sharp.

Last edited:
I received an order recently from him. From shipping date to my front door (east coast US), 4 days. Unreal; I've had orders from Canada sit for over three weeks in US customs, FWIW.

I purchased from him and it went well but his honemeister is someone I would not use again. The razor wouldn't even cut the hair on my arm and when I used it for the first time you could tell it hadn't been honed properly or at all.

He doesn't hone any of them... They are sold unsharpened

He offers a honing service for $30 on his kamisoris. He doesn't do it himself but has a third party do it for him.

Here is his email via paypal from July of this year.

Dear Suticat,

We will send you an invoice of $30 for sharpening
through Paypal after you place a purchase order.

Best regards,
Tsunehiro Suzuki

- japannippon

you paid extra for sharpening and it still not shave ready? That stinks! Ask for a refund!

Top Bottom