What's new

Strops

I need a strop and I just need to know if I will be fine buying a cheap one on eBay. I'm sure not all strops are the same, but I'm I really going to suffer if I don't get a nice one?

Avoid the really cheap eBay stuff. Small dimensions and inferior material. Look at Whipped Dog's Poor Man's strop or the offerings from Star Shaving.

Thanks guys. Buca is honing for me and I read that he has beginner strops. I think I will just get one from him

That's a great plan. I put a few nicks in my first strop--a cheapie from Amazon. Then I purchased a Mountain Mike after I knew what I was doing. Fortunately, I have not put a single nick in that one.

Correction... that should read, Am I... not I'm I

FYI. You'll see an edit post link on the bottom of anything you post right next to where is says Reply. I use this all the time to fix typos and change or add to a post once I read it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Buca is honing for me and I read that he has beginner strops. I think I will just get one from him

I picked up one from him when he was kind enough to hone a couple razors for me. Wow did those razors come back sharp. There's no doubt that Bill definitely knows how to sharpen a razor.

The strop is cheap but it get's the job done, so I'd say it was a good purchase for me while I'm getting started. It has a cloth piece and well as the leather strap, so it's nice to have both. Since I was already paying postage back for the razors it made total sense to add the strop in there. Definitely good to learn on something like this instead of ruining a $100 plus strop. I wouldn't worry about finding the best cheap strop as you'll probably end up replacing it anyway. There's a strong chance that you'll accidentially cut it while you're learning as well. Picking something up and getting started is more important than finding the best of the cheap ones.

I figure I should wait a bit longer but I've already been looking at some of the really nice strops.
This one will get me by nicely until I replace it.

Last edited:
Inexpensive strops are capable of keeping the razor in shape. I used one exclusively for a month and had no issues at all. While we all usually end up with better more expensive strops, some of these work fine. I have a kangaroo strop(very thin leather) that gives me the same feedback as I get from the thin strops. And you end up with a travel strop if you upgrade.

Top Bottom