What's new

Just picked up an Old Spice Mug!

Been thinking about getting one of these for a while. Saw a nice looking one on eBay for cheap, and jumped on it. Paid about $13 after shipping. For those of you who own one (or several) , what do you use it for? I know traditionally you stick your soap in the mug, but I don't think I'll be doing that. It will replace the blue soup mug I use to soak my brush (no stopper in my bathroom sink). Anyone else use them this way?

Will post pics when it arrives!

I cut up a stick of Arko to put in mine, and just love using that old mug like it was intended. Hopefully, I will run across a NOS Old Spice mug refill for cheap.

I just use it to hold my soap. It's a nice size and weight for it. I bought mine new in 1976.

$Plisson.jpg

I like using it as a lather mug. The ridges in the bottom are ideal for agitating the bristles and coaxing up a lather.

Just use it for a soap mug as well. Works out great to load the brush and then move to the skuttle.

My soaps all have containers already, and I face lather. If I use it to soak my brush, I get to enjoy it every day, instead if whenever I use whatever soap is in the mug.

I have 8 of them, all with different soaps in them. And I have an early American "Friendship" as well that hold my blades and stuff. Too cool to chance breaking that one.

I found that when zi tried to use mine to mug lather, I got annoyed by the "Clanking" of the edges with my brush handle. I ended up removing the soap and just use it as decoration. Good idea to use it as a brush soaker. enjoy it.

After looking at the pictures on the eBay listing, and doing some research, it looks like I have an early glass mug from the late 40s. No idea how rare they are (I know they aren't as sought after as the Hull pottery ones) but I still think that's pretty cool!

Nice find & a very good price.I don't use mine as I'm strictly a cream guy.Another nice one is the big blue one if you can find it.The larger one doesn't have the ridges but I use it to soak my brushes in it!

Atta boy! Nice mug. Grate my hard soaps down and press the soap into my mugs. Sometimes use it to whip up a lather, but I have a Cap. Choice lather bowl on the way...we'll see how that one fairs.

Atta boy! Nice mug. Grate my hard soaps down and press the soap into my mugs. Sometimes use it to whip up a lather, but I have a Cap. Choice lather bowl on the way...we'll see how that one fairs.

I've been using a Capt Choice lather bowl for 5 or 6 months now. I love it. Sides are low enough that I don't "clank" it with the brush handle, but high enough to get the job done. Also it has ridges molded into the bottom so its super fast at building a lather. I think you will be very happy with it.

Your mug, your choice!

It will make a great "brush soaking mug". I keep pucks of different soaps in mine, but may just start using one to soak my brush!

Bob

You may find that are a tad shallow for soaking your brushes.

I face lather and I use mine for soaking my brush. Mine is one of the later ones so I am not sure if the depth changed but as the quote says, if your brush loft is very long it may not be able to cover the entire bristle length. The longest of my lofts is 48 and there is a tad near the handle that sticks out above the water. I soak the brush, bristles up, under the warm tap first before inverting it in the water and I have no problem with it.

Last edited:
]For those of you who own one (or several) , what do you use it for?[/U] I know traditionally you stick your soap in the mug, but I don't think I'll be doing that. It will replace the blue soup mug I use to soak my brush (no stopper in my bathroom sink). Anyone else use them this way?

Will post pics when it arrives!

I had 4, but i traded two of them and kept the other two.

Since i wanted to keep soaps in them, i made lids for both.

Images are big, so i'm putting them in a spoiler

Top Bottom