What's new

Is this the beginning of SAD? First natural stone purchased.

I've been using lapping film for the last month or so, with reasonably good results, but wanted to get an actual stone to set bevels on, so earlier this week, ordered myself a Chosera 1K.

Now today, I pop onto that auction site for a moment, and see one of those dragon's tongue stones relatively cheap, and end up winning the auction. Got it for next to nothing, and have almost no idea if it will be of any use, or just a door-stop, but general consensus based on my searches here is that the grey DT stones are decent mid-grit stones. Looks like I'll have to lap it flat, but otherwise, seems to be a decent size (6" x 1 5/8").

Two stones in three days. Is this the beginning of the end?

$$_57.jpg

Its a great hobby. If you figure how much time you use these and at the end of the day the value is there, they are bargains imo. But only if you use them! So tomorrows another day and stone. Lol. Good luck with that, I never used one but ive heard good things about them.

Last edited:
I saw that stone, looks a lot nicer than what I'm used to seeing from Inigo DT's. And trust me, it's going to be FAR easier to lap than an Inigo (they have ridiculously coarse sawmarks on them).

^^
I did not realize we were supposed to be able to build a fort out of the spares.
Or have the means to rebuild a mountain in the Ardennes...

Youll end up like most of us here ;-) we are able to build up the Mountains in the Ardennes in Belgium, in Thuringia, a lot of Mountains (are there any ;-)) in the Highlands of Scotland, a few hills down the Vosges, and shure a lot of more Hills around the world...

So welcome here and i can assure you that these are the first signs of serious HAD and no...its not SAD!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Brian, you know what that pile needs....a size 10 Les Lat bout right in the center.

2 stones - 3 days.

The problem is that you either have 1 too many days or 1 too few stones in that equation.

Carry on.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It goes like this:
You buy a synthetic. Usually a low grit bevel setter or a norton 4/8. Then you decide you need a finisher, so maybe you go for the naniwa 12k or opt to go for a Chinese natural. Then you buy a coticule. Then you buy another coticule. Then you hear about the 'x' vein so you buy another. Then a vintage coticule comes up on the bay...you snag it. Then you hear that a thuri edge is great after a coti, so you sell a couple of cotis you swore you'd own forever and buy a small thuri. You like the small thuri. Now you want a bigger one, but this time, with an escher label. Sell small thuri and a couple more cotis and get an escher. At this point you will hit a slight lull and slow down for a while. Then- you'll start reading about jnats. You now have a very important decision to make.
Red pill, or blue pill

Top Bottom