What's new

Berry Preservation?

I live in the Pacific Northwest where blackberries grow every where and are considered a nuisance. I would like to pick as many as I can to jam, jellies, and syrups. Any other ideas of what could be done to preserve them?

I've had good success freezing berries. Lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet (you can sprinkle a little sugar on top) and place in the freezer for 12-14 hours. Then transfer them to a freezer bag. You can thaw as many as you need. They'll thaw quickly under running water.

I've had good success freezing berries. Lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet (you can sprinkle a little sugar on top) and place in the freezer for 12-14 hours. Then transfer them to a freezer bag. You can thaw as many as you need. They'll thaw quickly under running water.

+1. Berries freeze very well. I have a thing for blueberries and buy frozen most of the year, due to availability, and they are like fresh.

I find a 20-30 sec nuke will thaw about a half cup of small berries nicely.

I don't have a deep freezer, I can only freeze so many. I am also commanded to take some home for Christmas.

I'm chiming in with the freezing option with the others. I too reside in the NW, just further North of where you may be, where the berry farms are all located. Single layer cookie sheets, if you have a food saver you may get away with using that after they're frozen too, could squish them if they're not frozen solid but hey, everybody likes a smoothie.

As an aside, Thimble berries are very nice, google them, they have leaves that look like maple leaves, but they grow like raspberries (look like them too) but they're more sweet and tart. Kind of mushy when you pick them, they have a large stone that the berry pulls away from so they don't have any structural integrity but they are a tasty treat while walking around if there's any to be had. They're popular with the deer/birds and other critters.

This is how I have been doing it. Seems to work fine.

This does not work for long-term storage, but if you want to keep berries for a few extra day, store them in a glass jar in the refrigerator. That seems to extend there life for at least a few extra days. I cannot find the article where I read this, but there is some scientific reason behind why the glass extends a berry's life.

I freeze them... :) Any other long term storage options? I have limited freezer space.

Last edited:
You could can them, consistency might be more like pie filling at that point but they'll keep. If you want them whole about the only option you really have is to freeze them. If you kept the sweetness down a tad you could still use them for cobblers and such, may want to check into how to go about doing that. May need to pressure can them unless there's enough acid in them to stave off the botulism from running amok.

***Disclaimer, I've never tried to can berries, I have found a how-to article, looks like you'd need to add lemon juice or citric acid to keep the color and to preserve them. They did show that it can be done without added sweetener if you so desire.

Fruit leather is another option for using a bunch of them up...if you have a dehydrator.

I am going to do it very similar to vanilla extract. Made 3 gallons of that for Christmas last year. Which is vodka and beans.

Top Bottom