What's new

SRAD - Just When I Thought My Wallet Was Safe

After a few months of wetshaving, I was happy with my setup of two DE razors (EJ89 and Gillette Slim), 4 brushes (2 boar, 1 badger, and 1 synthetic), a large sampler of blades, and a host of soaps, creams and aftershaves. I completed MORO-June without a problem and have been cruising through MORO-July and GRU-Fall.

Then I was PIF'ed my first straight razor and strop and now I'm smitten. I've been reading up on straights and learning as much as I can. I know that I'll want to get a second (and maybe a third) straight for my collection (you know, so I can rotate them and have a back-up for when I need to send one out for honing). I'll probably also want to pick up a new strop. I've been cruising the B/S/T and, last night, I actually went on that auction site for the first time in forever. I was hoping to do GRU-Christmas, so I'll probably only have a short period of time to pick something up. Not really in a position to spend a lot of money, so I'll have to find some good deals. Any recommendations? Thanks!

The bst and hobbyist forums has some great deals on just about everything your looking for and theres a great group of guys here. I dont think you will have trouble finding what your looking for. Perhaps post a WTB. Good luck!

This is a deep and steep rabbit hole. I started 3 months ago and now own 9 straights and 2 strops. I have found most in the wild for $15-$18 dollars. The most I spent was off of here for around $45ish.
You will eventually want to sharpen and hone your own. This will cause you to look at stones which is even more overwhelming.
I don't have a lot of free cash and I have to be wise in how I so this. It takes some patience and luck but you can do this on a budget.
Also the guys here are amazing. They are willing to help and enable... I mean advise. Since you were PIFed you first set you already know this.

Just be warned if you don't turn back now there is no turning back.

Tell me about it!

Literally only received my first a few days ago & haven't even used it yet - still, I find myself looking at others as someone happened to mention in passing "well you need at least 2 so you have a spare when one's being honed...." :sneaky2:

The bst and hobbyist forums has some great deals on just about everything your looking for and theres a great group of guys here. I dont think you will have trouble finding what your looking for. Perhaps post a WTB. Good luck!

This would be my suggestion as well. With the auction sites, you can't be sure you are even getting a razor that can take an edge sometimes. Once in a while they have a micro crack that escaped notice or such.

Tell me about it!

Literally only received my first a few days ago & haven't even used it yet - still, I find myself looking at others as someone happened to mention in passing "well you need at least 2 so you have a spare when one's being honed...." :sneaky2:

Ahhh B&B enablers! We are always helpful!

Well...then there's lapping film and that moment when you find some straights in the wild and start thinking about resto work. I'm about to build my rare earth magnet straight jig....then I have to look at re-pinning. Maybe custom scales.....aaarrrggghhh! (I'm also at about 25 straights as I build my seven day set. Pfft.)

Top Bottom