What's new

Picked up this kamisori

It's marked "England Steel" and "ユリか" (yurika) which isn't a brand I've heard of... Still, it was cheap on yahoo auctions Japan and although it's clearly well worn, hopefully it can be honed up nicely by someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me!)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406036770.556411.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406036782.361485.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406036792.955913.jpg

Very cool. I'm hoping for my first Kami to arrive in the next few days. I'm really looking forward to it. Congrats on that score!

Very cool. I'm hoping for my first Kami to arrive in the next few days. I'm really looking forward to it. Congrats on that score!

Thanks! Good luck with yours. I've been sporting a beard for a while (sacrilege around here, I know!) but it got too hot so it's gone now. Used the Kai Captain this morning. Itching to get into the regular straights and stick it out this time!

I always sport the lip ferret and a chin duster. Been that way since I was 16 or 17, so I only shave the cheeks and neck. I wouldn't call it sacrilege at all. lol

Congratulations on your new purchase!

I have three Kamisoris myself. The first two I had for a while and honed them after watching videos on YouTube. I was surprised how easy it was to hone. Or....maybe just lucky!:laugh: I did not try using them for several months. Too chicken! I found out it was not hard to get the hang of using them. Great fun trying!

Mike

I'm also waiting for my Kami to arrive, it also says England Steel, don't know much about them, but it seemed to be a bargain... Les't wait and see...

I have an Inoue Tosuke, a Henkotsu and a Shigeki Tanaka Damascus steel kamisori. I use them all the time. I have an 8000-10000 grit stone that I touch them up with from time to time, and have leather and pasted balsa strops. The razors always pass the HHT.

Your kamisori looks like it has plenty of life left in it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I've got about 10 now. I'm a sucker for the Tousuke, especially if it's one with the scalloped weld. He's not the only one to do that, but it's not too common either.

Just shaved with the Yurika and a Henkotsu this Sunday, I can basically go all week on one pass. I do like to keep a little scruff though.

$yurika.jpg

its a great fit for me, I have a weird lip scar from taking a hit and so I usually look for a blade profile that has a nice spike, and the yurika also has a nice grind for a choke grip up close to the blade which I like. I love it. When I open the case Baya made for me my hand seems to go to that razor the most. have you used yours yet?

yeah it's a dream, it fits pretty well between the tousukes I have and the henkotsu, and it has a grind that my finger finds which allows for great control. the henkotsu I have are also awesome shaves, they are really fat and hefty, whereas the tousuke seem like they are the more agile- and therefore more treacherous lol.

Top Bottom