What's new

Favourite ink colour for corrections/editing?

I'm trying to stay away from the now frowned upon colour of RED for making corrections/changes to reports. I had thought of going to a softer ORANGE colour, like Noodler's Apache Sunset or perhaps changing to something completely different, like GREEN and jumping for Diamine Umber.

Purely from a colour perspective, what do you favor using for editing or correcting work, and why?

Thanks

I do like red, though. Sheaffer Skrip Red is the truest correction red I know of.

I like where you are going with green. Pelikan Brilliant Green will get your attention without being harsh.

Edit: With orange, you could go orange/brown and use Diamine Ancient Copper.

Last edited:
Don't forget the nearly 10 percent of us who have a red/green color vision deficiency :) I'd say that green is a poor alternative to red for corrections, personally, if you are correcting someone else's work(say, students). I like the ancient copper suggestion.

I had not taken into account any color deficiency issues, but I have been using Caran d'Ache "Amazon," a medium although fairly vibrant green to mark-up document revisions and to otherwise annotate documents. My rationale is that it stands out well and seems less "harsh" and "confrontive" than red.

If I were going to use red, I would likely use J Herbin's 1670 Rouge Hematite, my favorite red ink by a long shot.

Most oranges seem kind of light for this purpose to me and do not seem much less "confrontive."

I think the right purple hue would be good, too. Something with more red than blue in it to distinguish itself clearly from regular blue ink. Something that "pops."

I suppose the right shade of brown would work. Maybe along the lines of the ancient copper suggestion. Something with a lot of red or orange to it. I am not assure about the brown idea.

I don't correct much but myself (frequently), but if I were looking for orange correction options, I would not overlook Diamine Coral.

Most of the work I correct is either printed via a photocopier or it is written in pencil. I use my trusty Diamine blues.

I edit books for a living, and I am the last editor in captivity who edits pen-to-paper, not on a computer screen. (Far more accurate, for me.) After some to-and-fro, I have settled on one ink for ALL my work: J. Herbin Violette Pensee, a good bold violet that is still fine for business use. My authors seem to like it as well; not such a shout as red, but still noticeable enough on the page.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I edit books for a living, and I am the last editor in captivity who edits pen-to-paper, not on a computer screen. (Far more accurate, for me.) After some to-and-fro, I have settled on one ink for ALL my work: J. Herbin Violette Pensee, a good bold violet that is still fine for business use. My authors seem to like it as well; not such a shout as red, but still noticeable enough on the page.

I hope they let you out soon.

Key point ... it has to be "noticeable". It has to jump off the page, so that corrections (which may be very small, just an added punctuation and a tiny circle around it) can be seen at a glance.

I like Noodler's Fox Red (I think that's what it's called). It's very red and stands out like a champ. Apache Sunset would be my next go-to, especially with a broad or flexible nib.

I use De Atrementis Oriental Red, mostly because it is different from most ballpoint reds, so I know if the marks are mine or not.
Although I have not heard about red coming out of vogue for editing, I can see the point being made. However, I still feel like it is the best color for the job. It is almost universally understood to mean "fix this," and I feel it immediately calls the reader's attention, make it easier to scan for editing marks. I'll continue using it until forced to stop. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I use De Atrementis Oriental Red, mostly because it is different from most ballpoint reds, so I know if the marks are mine or not.
Although I have not heard about red coming out of vogue for editing, I can see the point being made. However, I still feel like it is the best color for the job. It is almost universally understood to mean "fix this," and I feel it immediately calls the reader's attention, make it easier to scan for editing marks. I'll continue using it until forced to stop. Just my two cents.

I agree it makes sense to use red. My perspective of its use is from my wife and my mother who are both teachers. Their use of red would be for marking children's work, which is perhaps seen as too critical (that's a typical example of how overly cautious the UK has become about upsetting people!).

My use would be editing and correcting technical reports where every correction needs to be captured, I guess I need to worry less.

If i'm making any sort of corrections I like to use either Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-budo or Pelikan Edelstein Amber

If i'm making any sort of corrections I like to use either Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-budo or Pelikan Edelstein Amber

I'm currently using Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire as my daily blue ink and find this pretty well behaved ink. My local pen store has the Edelstein range so I might go and see the Amber in person. Thanks

As long as it stands out, it's ok for me. I mostly do peer reviews, and I hope that no adult objects against an ink color (unless they are color blind, and cannot discriminate between some colors).

Personally, I don't buy into the "red is negative" idea. And growing up also means learning to cope with corrections and disappointments.

That being said, I usually use turquoise ink for reviewing texts, since most people use dark blue or black. Or like in 90% of the cases, I have to edit printed copies.

Last edited:
I agree it makes sense to use red. My perspective of its use is from my wife and my mother who are both teachers. Their use of red would be for marking children's work, which is perhaps seen as too critical (that's a typical example of how overly cautious the UK has become about upsetting people!).

My use would be editing and correcting technical reports where every correction needs to be captured, I guess I need to worry less.

I use Sheaffer's Red at work. Well-behaved even on 20# copy paper. No problems with people being upset about it, even though the majority of my markups aren't shared with others. I think for your kind of work (technical editing) you want to use something that captures the writer's attention, especially since they're paying you to catch their mistakes.

I do see a reason where younger children might be discouraged from a sea of red marks on paper though. Fortunately, that's not your audience. :biggrin1:

I do see a reason where younger children might be discouraged from a sea of red marks on paper though. Fortunately, that's not your audience. :biggrin1:
And even then, it's a learning experience for them. Deal with criticism.

I agree that your writing must stand out. The actual color does not matter too much; turquoise, green, orange, or red will all do, in my opinion.

Like I said, I am a fan of turquoise.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One additional criteria ... unfortunately ... when marking students' work: the need to have some amount of "tamper-evident" quality to it. You don't want the craftier students changing a "68" into an "88" after the fact and then coming back trying to get their final grade "corrected" for the new (fake) grade on the exam/essay.

Top Bottom