What's new

getting a vasectomy

I don't know your particular medical history, but if you're otherwise healthy, I'd strongly suggest you opt for local instead of general anesthesia. The risks associated with general anesthesia far outweigh any associated with a simple vasectomy. And, as many previous posts mention, it's a relatively minor physical procedure - it's more of a mind issue for most men. In most countries it's a simple outpatient procedure - a couple snips, a stitch or two, a bandaid, and off you go...
Bryan B., MD

+1

A general for this procedure would be like using blue torch to light a cigarette

Clear 2-3 days and enjoy some movies/sports/video games, etc.
If you listen to and obey your doc, you will look back after a week and wonder what all the fuss was about :)

If you're a sports fan, the best day to have the surgery is the first day of March Madness. 2 days of college basketball from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM. And you have a good excuse for it.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My college roommate had his done a couple years ago. When he went for his follow up, the nurse gave him a specimen cup and told him she needed a sample. He went to the bathroom and did his business, came out and handed the cup to the nurse. She looked at it and said "Sir, I needed a urine sample".

All in all it is not too bad. I have three pieces of advice:

Buy a pair of briefs. Not boxer briefs or athletic briefs, good old standard briefs. You want your boys firmly in place for a few days. Second, walking and standing up from a chair IS difficult for a few days, book a few days holiday. Third, ice is your friend.

Mine was 8ish years ago and it was a breeze. Couple days off from physical activity and I found frozen corn to work better than peas. I think the lead up to it was the worst, Doc suggested I bring a book and read during the procedure. That in itself was surreal.

I had mine 23 years ago. Interesting that I was going to do the deed after daughter #2 was born. I delayed and we conceived son #1. Sure glad I waited, don't know what life would be like without him.

The procedure is simple. Mine was done by a very qualified urologist. The worst part is the mental part. My best advice is:listen to your doctor and do exactly what he says for follow up. Rest on the couch, wear briefs or a supporter, ice your junk, take ibuprofen at the dose and duration the doc tells you, avoid anything strenuous for a few days. My doc said he had done thousands of the procedure and only had two go bad. One guy got in a fight and was kicked in the groin and the other decided it would be a good use of his day off and fertilize his lawn.

+1 on all of the above. It was nothing. No pain, just an injection, followed by a kind of a weird sensation for a short period of time, then it was over. Recovery was a piece of cake: sat in a lounge chair with a bag of frozen whatever on my crotch and watched tv for the week-end, then back to normal (well, as close to normal as I am likely to get :001_cool:). As stated above, do what your doctor tells you. If you hear any horror stories, they are either b-s or cases of guys who thought they knew better than their urologist.

Yeah, exactly what the doc said. Getting knocked out for this isn't necessary at all and not worth the risks. It's really a very simple procedure that takes less than a half hour. It's not painful at all either. Mild discomfort is about how I'd describe it.

I did it about 10 years ago and it wasn't bad at all. The worst part of it were the two shots to numb the area so that he could make the small incisions. Basically, you get a shot in the right side, he makes about a half inch incision, ties, cauterizes, a couple stitches and is done with the side in about 5 minutes. Then the other side just like the first one. The shot feels like a very mild slap in the nuts for lack of a better description and that's all that you'll feel. The whole procedure took about 30 minutes if that. I drove myself home afterward.

Do use the frozen vegetables and ice the area a lot even if you don't think you need to. The more you ice it the better to keep the swelling down. You'll have a mild soreness for a couple days but do resist the temptation to do any physical activity. You will feel like you're back to normal, and good to go right away, but you're not. So just rest and watch tv even though you want to move around and get things back to normal. If you over do it you will swell up like a baked potato and be in some pain. You can also make the procedure not take if you really over do it, then you get to repeat it, if it can even still be done as an outpatient thing.

I cut the grass with a ride on mower as soon as I was feeling better (about two days later) and that was a bad idea because it brought on the soreness and swelling all over again and likely delayed my full recovery. I figured it was fine because I was on a ride behind mower. No deal, avoid all movement even if it's low stress. Football season is the most popular time for a vasectomy for a reason, so you can sit and relax to recover.

You will have to take in a specimen a few days later. It's awkward but definitely, absolutely do this. You're bringing it so that they can test and make sure the procedure worked. I know someone who never went back and ended up with another child before getting the procedure redone a second time.

I do remember having to take that into the office in a brown paper bag. I told the nurse that I had to drop it off and she was like I don't want that. I told her that this wasn't something that I thought up to do on my own, and she went and got the other nurse. I think I waited in the room for the results of the test longer that it took for the procedure to be done.

Overall, getting it done was a great decision for our family. I did it because I love my wife and didn't want her to have to get a major surgery so that I could wuss out of a minor one. It was way easier for me to do. I'd do it again in a second if I needed to. The whole procedure wasn't much worse than going to the dentist to get a cavity filled and the recovery was me forcing myself to be really lazy.

As far as reversals go, make absolutely sure that your family is complete before doing this. I think they asked me about ten times if I was sure that my wife and I didn't want any more kids. A reversal is not generally covered under your insurance (considered elective surgery) and is not a quick outpatient thing. I know two people that have gotten reversals and it's a knock you out type procedure and will cost you about 10k out of your pocket and even then there's no guarantee that it will work.

Good luck.

. I did it because I love my wife and didn't want her to have to get a major surgery so that I could wuss out of a minor one. It was way easier for me to do.

This.
Plus it's a lot easier than childbirth too, and if you're thinking of a snip, my guess is the missus has already gone through one or more of those :)

:lol: "You flinched"

$seinfeld hospital before fight.png

A coworker had one during the Masters golf tournament weekend in 2013. It seems he didn't return for his sample evaluation because now they're expecting a baby in November!

Had mine 7-8 years ago. Frozen peas and a couple days just relaxing and I was fine. More uncomfortable than painful for about a week or so afterwards but it was pretty easy.

Had mine about 3 years ago. No problems, minor discomfort. Like others had said, take it easy for a few days. I had a collection of ice packs, ice cubes in ziplock bags, frozen peas. The frozen peas worked the best. My wife ran out and got me a few more bags.

I did it, after my wife and I had our son. I sat around for about a week in sweatpants with an icepack on the nether regions. Everything seemed to heal well, too well, about 2 1/2 years later my wife was pregnant with our daughter. This time she got fixed instead of me.

Top Bottom