What's new

Meat? Get ready for this summer

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
First apologies to any vegan or vegetarians (local or international) but I do like meat!

My favourites in Oz were the Otway pork and the King Island Beef. On Tuesdays, Coles would have a 66% off steaks which make them super cheap compared to the regular beef. That was my Steak of the week while I was there. I would pick those up coming back from work, start the barbie and it was done!

Back in Canada, it's difficult to find the same quality level (surprisingly) without paying an arm and a leg!

What are your favourites distributors down under? I suspect that those were more local to Melbourne where Sydney, Perth, Darwin, Adelaide or Canberra (... Hobart ...) have something else.

One of my wife's work colleagues owns a hobby farm and we've basically been buying half an organic cow every time they do a slaughter. Costs us around $7 a kilo and that's cut and bagged up. You obviously get everything from eye fillet to soup bones and it's a good economical way to get beef and the meat SO much tastier than anything bought for 3,4,5 times the price at the supermarket. Haven't had search out a good butcher or other source of beef for a while now :)

Legion

Staff member
I used to have a shop at a market near me that sold all sorts of exotic meats. Crocodile, frogs legs, emu... stuff like that. I would sometimes like to buy things that were odd, just to try them out and make weird recipes.

My housmate bought camel meat at the supermarket the other week. That was odd.

During summer I order meat from an online producer. Prices are good and the quality is exceptional. I BBQ at least 4 nights a week during the nice weather so it's good to have something of decent quality to cook. With the highly likely move to QLD next year, I'll be able to BBQ all year round so I'll have to find something similar up there.

http://littlecreekbeef.com/

I used to have a shop at a market near me that sold all sorts of exotic meats. Crocodile, frogs legs, emu... stuff like that. I would sometimes like to buy things that were odd, just to try them out and make weird recipes.

My housemate bought camel meat at the supermarket the other week. That was odd.

Was in my local Woolworths a couple of days ago and spotted this...

$photo.JPG

1 piece, $13. Interesting....

Legion

Staff member
Cool. Croc is quite nice. I would have bought that for $13. Might check out my local one.

Luc

Staff member
Straight on the Barbie!

Was in my local Woolworths a couple of days ago and spotted this...

View attachment 475592

1 piece, $13. Interesting....

Crocodile can be really nice. Kind of a cross between chicken and fish. I first had it on a trip around Australia in 1995. Bought some at a supermarket in Kununurra. It was pretty average but it turns out I bought a piece of the belly flap which is definitely not prime cut. I had a tail steak in Darwin a couple of years later and that was really nice.

My only taste of croc was at The East - a Chinese restaurant in east Circular Quay and obviously catering for tourists with 'roo and croc on the menu.

Croc in a Chinese restaurant was just really w-e-i-r-d as far as I was concerned!

My only taste of croc was at The East - a Chinese restaurant in east Circular Quay and obviously catering for tourists with 'roo and croc on the menu.

Croc in a Chinese restaurant was just really w-e-i-r-d as far as I was concerned!

Haven't you ever heard of General Tso's Crocodile? :lol:

Luc

Staff member
Ah! I had a trio of roo, croc and emu in Palm Cove. It was pretty nice!

Top Bottom