What's new

not getting close, Please Help

today was shave 3, here were my set ups, and procedures

day 1: gillette slim adjustable set to 1. dorco stainless steel blade (blue pack), Van Der Hagen Select shave soap, Annie Boar brush.

i had ordered somewhat better quality stuff. but the only thing that came in was the Gillette slim, and i wanted to find somewere local to purchase items in a pinch in the future anyway, so i decided to go hunting. this is how i came to find the $3 Annie boar brush and Dorco blades at a local Ethnic beauty supply store, i then found the Soap at bed bath and beyond for $1.99. i new this was a bad idea from the start, but, for reasons beyond my own comprehension, i proceeded anyway. The Brush was more Irritating to my skin then it was worth, even after letting it soak for a couple ours, it also doesnt help that we through my mother-in-law a party at our place and i already had a few drinks so i continued with the poor decision (no, i was not drinking before heading out to purchase the items). but i had quite a few days of growth, so i proceeded. it got it down to what looked like a day or so's growth (my hair dont grow too quick, my "5 o' clock shadow" is usually 20 ish hours later)

only about 30 min after my shave did my wife remember i got a package, turns out, it was most of the items i ordered. including an alum block, so i used it.

Day 2: Standard Razor and Gillette Slim Adjustable, Gillette silver blue blade and Dorco stainless steel blade, Annie boar brush, New York Shaving Co, "Elizabeth Street" shave cream, Gentleman Jon alum block.

on this day, i started with the standard razor, however, no matter the angle i attempted, it was as if i was Shaving with the kids play shave set, nothing was happening, i even took it to my arm (maybe a bad idea, but as you can see, i get those from time to time). and it didnt do anything, so i decided to relather, and go back to the Gillette slim and the dorco blade, but found the same result, now understand this is the next day, the amount of growth was minimal, but there was still plenty of stubble to shave, yet nothing was happening, so just to get something done i adjusted to a 3, and finished. used alum block.

Day 3: Gillette Slim Adjustable, Feather Hi Stainless blade, Whipped Dog Silvertip Badger brush, New York Shaving Co, "Elizabeth Street" shave cream, Gentleman Jon alum block.

This time i had a brush that didnt feel like it was sanding my face off, this brush feels great compared to the Torture Device that must have came from the Guantanamo Bay, it lathered much better as well (still work to be done on my part to use less cream). I changed the Blade because I have read many times the blade needs to match your face (not in looks, you see, it cant possible Look as sharp as i do
:cool2:
:rolleyes1 ) This time the setting was back to 1, first pass was fine, second was like i was using tweezers and a razor blade (wait, what?) to shave.

and still didnt get any closer.

all three times, i did a three pass, WTG, XTG, ATG (the third shave didnt get a complete 3rd pass because i didnt want to die from blood loss) i only had nicks that drew blood on the third shave (blade might be a little too sharp.... ok, MAYBE it is as sharp as me) but all three times the alum block lit my neck on fire.

any advice to get closer without needing a Blood Transfusion? this isnt even close to BBS. i am aiming for 30 degree angle, and adjusted many times to try and find it. im a but bumbed out, i am hoping to go into tomorrow nights shave with more mental ammo.

also, other then more blades for trying, i am done spending for a few weeks, i do have a Gillette Travel tech that came in, some derby blades, and some personna blades left to try, and plan to find a sampler with astra's in it to order on thursday. so if you think one of those blades or that razor would be better to try let me know. otherwise, i plan to stick with the slim adjustable until i get better.

PLEASE FORGET MY LACK OF PROPER GRAMMER, SPELLING, AND CAPITALIZATION,WHILE IM NOT GREAT IN THE FIRST PLACE, IT IS WAY PAST MY BED TIME AND IM JUST TO TIRED TO CARE RIGHT NOW.

Last edited:
First, it might be you are not tightening the Slim enough. The last quarter is requiring extra force. If you fail to do this, the razor will behave differently and might nick you a lot more.

Second, while the idea of adjustable razors are nice, I find open comb razors to be better when it comes comfort. If you have a chance to get a Gillette NEW (any version), try one with Voskhod or Gillette Silver Blue blades.

Welcome to B&B!

It seems as though there is a technique issue, rather than a hardware issue. Going through the stuff on Day 3 looks like some rock-solid hardware. I know that people don't like learning on Feathers, since without a doubt they are the sharpest safety razor blades out there. If you want to stick with the Gillette Slim Adjustable, three is probably okay. Feathers are notoriously unforgiving of mistakes, but they provide silky-smooth shaves if you can learn to use them. More than with another blade, no pressure is key. I can usually get seven or eight shaves out of a single Feather blade, so don't worry too much about dulling one with a single shave!

One of the problems is almost-certainly changing the hardware. Going from a 1 to a 3, changing brushes (although from the sound of things that first one was rubbish), changing soaps, etc. Especially when learning, you want all of the hardware and software to stay the same. It will be invaluable for learning proper technique. Try sticking with one brand of blade through the whole pack so you are able to determine if they cause irritation.

While one problem is almost certainly blade angle, it is possible another is lather. Try making practice lathers. Practice making the slickest, thickest lather your cream can produce, and figure out about how much water to add to get it there.

Hope this helps!

I'd suggest setting the Slim at four or five (I reckon one is so mild it could take quite an experienced DE shaver to get a good result) and sticking with that, and choosing one blade type (maybe Astras, which are good but not too unforgiving) and one cream. Then concentrate on applying minimal pressure and getting the angle right: you should be able to hear the whiskers being cut when you get it right. It might also be an idea to keep it to two passes, WTG and XTG, for a while, to reduce irritation and the chances of getting nicks. You should still get a decent shave that way.

Thanks so far guys.

I am tightening the Slim down all the way for sure, as i studied the heck out of this function of this thing when it first came in.

i will try using another blade, and then from there stick to one type of blade for a while.... not gonna do that with the feather thats currently in there.

I actually was practicing lather last night, for some reason face lathering seems easier for me, but its still not good enough IMHO.

I was Feeling/Thinking that just adjusting the Razor was "cheating".. guess not. lol. i Will try that for tonights shave..

and yes, the Brush was an upgrade. I didnt expect the WD Brush to be in so soon, and had told myself i was going to either use my hand, or not shave until it came in.

I agree with the advice posted so far - try to stick with one set up for several days in a row (I know it is hard when you have so many new toys) to get some consistency in your routine. Also try doing just one or two passes and make sure you always relather. Even if you are just going to touch up one spot put some lather over it. It is a learning process, so you may just get "acceptable" shaves at first but the DFS & BBS shaves will come eventually.

Setting the slim to 5 makes sense to me too. Starting in the middle will give you a baseline before deciding if you want to adjust it to be more or less aggressive.

I agree with the advice posted so far - try to stick with one set up for several days in a row (I know it is hard when you have so many new toys) to get some consistency in your routine. Also try doing just one or two passes and make sure you always relather. Even if you are just going to touch up one spot put some lather over it. It is a learning process, so you may just get "acceptable" shaves at first but the DFS & BBS shaves will come eventually.

Setting the slim to 5 makes sense to me too. Starting in the middle will give you a baseline before deciding if you want to adjust it to be more or less aggressive.
+2 on the using the same equipment for a while. 30 days is the rule of thumb to use the same razor, blade, soap, and brush to let yourself get comfortable with your technique.

I'm not familiar with the Standard Razor, but if it's a 3-piece make sure your baseplate isn't upside down, your description sounds like that might be a possibility.

Last edited:

+3

So when you're standing there, slick lather on your face, non-feather blade tightened down in the Slim on 4 or 5....

place the head of the razor on your cheek with the handle horizontal. Bring the handle down until you think you're at the right angle and then let the razor come down your cheek with only enough pressure to keep the razor on your cheek.
now listen for hairs being cut. If you're not hearing anything, the blade isn't reaching your skin. Bring the handle end down some more and repeat until you can hear each hair begging for mercy. If your skin is begging for mercy because each hair is being tugged, you've gone too far, start over.

Good luck.

Thanks so far guys.

I am tightening the Slim down all the way for sure, as i studied the heck out of this function of this thing when it first came in.

i will try using another blade, and then from there stick to one type of blade for a while.... not gonna do that with the feather thats currently in there.

I actually was practicing lather last night, for some reason face lathering seems easier for me, but its still not good enough IMHO.

I was Feeling/Thinking that just adjusting the Razor was "cheating".. guess not. lol. i Will try that for tonights shave..

and yes, the Brush was an upgrade. I didnt expect the WD Brush to be in so soon, and had told myself i was going to either use my hand, or not shave until it came in.

Keep us updated on your new blade, sometimes that is the game changer.

I'd also suggest not changing so many parameters day to day. Stick with same soap, brush, razor and blade. Only change setting and use each setting more than just 1 day to ensure you have settled your technique. When you change something, change only 1 thing like setting not setting and blade. Might also try a non- adjustable at some point.

Thanks so far guys! Haggises, i will use your steps for tonight, last night i was getting a shave, but a lot of tugging, looks like your steps would help with that. last night was better, but still not what i am hoping for even as a newb. taking a close look at this Slim, the safety bars (if thats what there called) look uneven. so i might switch to my standard razor until i get it figured out

I'm not familiar with the Standard Razor, but if it's a 3-piece make sure your baseplate isn't upside down, your description sounds like that might be a possibility.

.... let's pretend that didnt happen...... (i seriously cant believe i actually did that)

in my defense (i can try cant i?) this razor is a slightly different design.... with my little travel tech, its pretty dang obvious its on backwards.

Can you take pics of the Slim? The guard bar being off is sometimes easy to fix, sometimes not.

Good luck with the Standard :)

Keep plugging away at it. The safety bar on the Slim may be art of the issue. As noted, if you can post a photo, that will help.

Can you take pics of the Slim? The guard bar being off is sometimes easy to fix, sometimes not.

Good luck with the Standard :)

Keep plugging away at it. The safety bar on the Slim may be art of the issue. As noted, if you can post a photo, that will help.

I had actually started another thread on it, trying to keep things organized. but after more searching found a method using a screw driver...

it got it pretty good, its eye balled im a bit OCD with certain things, and i could probably have dont it all night until the bar breaks off, if i had a way to measure my 4 corners and 2 centers to ensure the gap is the same throughout i would. but at setting 1, its too small for any measuring tool i have... I did think about setting it to 9, and using a spark plug gapping tool, then putting it back down to 1 for any adjustments... and just repeat until its all even... but im not sure if thats a theory that will work....

on another note. last night I had a much better shave, thanks to the advise posted in this thread. i shaved before finding the solution to the problem with the slim, so i used the Standard Razor and the Blade that was in it (i made sure all the parts were on correctly this time) it was so much better of a shave then my last 3. much closer. not BBS, but i dont expect that right now anyway. it was equal to what i get with a 5 blade cartridge razor before i switched (although i didnt do ATG with a cartridge because i would get severe razor burn)

depending on the slim, i will choose a razor to stick with so i dont keep changing everything.

THANKS SO FAR GUYS, YOUR ADVISE AS LEAD TO HUGE IMPROVEMENTS ON THE LAST TWO SHAVES.

Top Bottom