What's new

NOS - To Use or Not to Use?

Hello,

Just curious about other shavers. I am one who is known to buy things and keep them new and not use them. I just found a NOS birth-year razor that should be arriving in a few days. Part of me says to keep it NOS so it keeps its value, part of me says you only live once, use the thing! Just wondering how you guys look at it...

Thank you!

Last edited:
It is your razor so do what you want!

If it was me though I would consider rarity and collectiblity - NOS can never become NOS again. I have some NOS and would NEVER use them, they are unique pieces and deserve for history sake to remain pristine. If it is a more common razor with lots of other NOS examples out there though - go for it!

On the other hand I have a complete NOS set (see here) - from my 1966 birth year. Slim Adjustable, Simpson butterscotch brush, Old Spice mug with soap (since also acquired Old Spice talc and splash). It is for my son's 18th birthday and I hope become a family heirloom. First used by him but connected to me. i don't have anything from my Dad so this is a tradition being started. I trust that he uses it.

It is your razor so do what you want!

If it was me though I would consider rarity and collectiblity - NOS can never become NOS again. I have some NOS and would NEVER use them, they are unique pieces and deserve for history sake to remain pristine. If it is a more common razor with lots of other NOS examples out there though - go for it!

On the other hand I have a complete NOS set (see here) - from my 1966 birth year. Slim Adjustable, Simpson butterscotch brush, Old Spice mug with soap (since also acquired Old Spice talc and splash). It is for my son's 18th birthday and I hope become a family heirloom. First used by him but connected to me. i don't have anything from my Dad so this is a tradition being started. I trust that he uses it.
Wonderful set Mark. That's the same exact razor I just purchased, but mine is a '64. Mine doesn't have the price tag or the instructions either. Thanks for the reply!

Personally, I'm a user, not a collector. It's a presision tool that was built to be used. I've said it before, but it's like a carpenter buying a really nice hammer, and said hammer never seeing a nail. It's almost an insult to the maker to not use it. All his work was done for nothing. It may as well be no good, cause it'll never get to proove itself otherwise.
Just my opinion of course.

Personally, I'm a user, not a collector. It's a presision tool that was built to be used. I've said it before, but it's like a carpenter buying a really nice hammer, and said hammer never seeing a nail. It's almost an insult to the maker to not use it. All his work was done for nothing. It may as well be no good, cause it'll never get to proove itself otherwise.
Just my opinion of course.
Thanks Nick, good analogy.

But it really depends on your intention when you bought it. Did you buy it to have and use your birthyear razor? Or did you buy it to have a NOS birthyear razor in your collection?

I have a few NOS razors. I can't make myself use them, so I bought used versions of them to try. Still looking for a decent Wikinson Sword Empire set to try, because the one I bought was so NOS that the strop is still in its wrapper, and the blades are still coated with factory oil, which has congealed on them. I so want to use it, though!

But it really depends on your intention when you bought it. Did you buy it to have and use your birthyear razor? Or did you buy it to have a NOS birthyear razor in your collection?
My original intention was to use it. I'm brand new to this hobby, so I don't even have a collection - yet! LOL. I haven't even taken delivery yet, so I figured I would see how it looks. Like MSstrahan said below, he has one that's so pristine he hesitates to use it - if it's that good, maybe not. It's not perfect - it's missing the price tag and the instructions. I'm looking for the instructions, but doubt I'll find the price tag. At this point I'm leaning toward using it and enjoying it.

There is no way I would open and use a birth year NOS Slim. There are thousands upon thousands of really, really nice opened Slims that can be used, but there just can't be that many 40+ year old NOS Slims out there. I think it would be a shame to make it just another Slim.

I found a basically NOS bowl of Houbigant Fougere Royale shaving soap. It has been opened, but the stamping is SO clear and defined, it is obviously unused. It also smells FANTASTIC. I can't bring myself to put a brush to it.......

I vote - leave it NOS

Last edited:
There is no way I would open and use a birth year NOS Slim. There are thousands upon thousands of really, really nice opened Slims that can be used, but there just can't be that many+ year old NOS Slims out there. I think it would be a shame to make it just another Slim.

I found a basically NOS bowl of Houbigant Fougere Royale shaving soap. It has been opened, but the stamping is SO clear and defined, it is obviously unused. It also smells FANTASTIC. I can't bring myself to put a brush to it.......

I vote - leave it NOS
Hmm, excellent argument for leaving it NOS. I really appreciate the input, that is exactly what I was hoping for - to see what others' opinions and reasons are!

Thanks Ollie4ISU.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Buy another NOS birth year razor. Use one, save the other as NOS.

Problem solved.

Top Bottom