What's new

antique shops running dry?

I'm really looking for a fat boy to try out. But keep coming up short. I'll just keep on looking till I find one, or something to add to my small collection.

You will find them. I have found 4 in few mos, 2 of them cased. Also it is not worth all the hoopla. I prefer the slim :)

I'm really looking for a fat boy to try out. But keep coming up short. I'll just keep on looking till I find one, or something to add to my small collection.

The local well known and high traffic antique shops are picked clean. You'll find one every so often, but nothing worth jumping up and down, shooting sparks out of your butt over..

That being said, the most luck I have with antique shops are places that take 30+ mile drive of nothingness to get to. Those places where main street is all but shut down, and there are no "computer users".

I'm also in Dallas a lot, and there are troves of them in antique shops for fair prices. Recently bought a mint super adjustable for $20, and Segal for $10.

They're out there.. Go on google maps, look for a town in the middle of no where, then search antique. Go to those.

That being said, the most luck I have with antique shops are places that take 30+ mile drive of nothingness to get to. Those places where main street is all but shut down, and there are no "computer users".

Extremely wise words. In my experience, this is where the real loot is to be had.

Last time i went was about 3 months ago. I did find some good stuff, but i l mostly saw GEM razors. I pretty much cleaned out the 3 local shops i frequent. The times i've gone, i only see duplicates. I don't get them, so that other fellows can have a chance.

My local antique store ran out of the good razors several years. Luckily, I got a few good DEs before they ran dry. Now, they seem to have mostly Injector razors, GEM SEs, Autostrop Valets and a few straights, and most of those are in very poor condition. They also pop up with some unique items like a "Curvette" which is a razor with a circular blade for women to shave their underarms. It has been there for at least a year and either nobody knows what it is, or nobody wants it.

Same story here in southern Ontario. The DEs are being snapped up as soon as they are displayed. I went to one place a couple months ago and found a decent razor, pictured, for $12. I went back recently and all razors including SEs were $28 or more.

Dale

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 113
I wonder if Gillette ever reads these threads and thinks, 'Gee, I wonder if we should start making Techs again? There seems to be demand for 'em.'

If they still had the tooling, MAYBE, as a premium set to be sold in AoS stores perhaps. But quite frankly I think we are just seeing a blip in demand by a VERY few number of individuals for a product that is in VERY limited supply already.

Everything about a vintage Gillette is contrary to how Gillette (and most major companies) operates today, which is probably what makes them so appealing to some of us. They are overbuilt, complex, and made to last.

Same story here in southern Ontario. The DEs are being snapped up as soon as they are displayed. I went to one place a couple months ago and found a decent razor, pictured, for $12. I went back recently and all razors including SEs were $28 or more.
All the techs I see in the antique stores in Vancouver area are at $25. Maybe they will let it go for $20...

Well I found a 10$ fatboy. Everything is smooth and the adjustments work perectly. No plating loss and no paint loss. I guess I spoke to soon. And the owner of the antique mall said she was gonna give me first chance at all the razors. We will see how this goes, I will post pics when I get home before and after cleaning

I certainly hope that there are a few vintage shaving items when I start checking a few of the local antique shops here in Vegas. It would be nice to find a vintage razor or two.

Top Bottom