What's new

open or close container

Hey Guys..

After using a cream or soap from a container..

Do you close it right away , with some moisture from brush
or
Let it dry ...if yes, how long?

thx

mike

I usually keep mine open for the length of the shave, then close it up and put it away. Haven't run into any problems yet.

After I load the brush, I rinse it upside down so that I only clean the soap off the outside of the container.

I dry the container off, outside part, and proceed with my shave.

When I'm done shaving and cleaning up after myself, I'll close the lid as the last thing I do and store it with the other soaps.

Soaps, croaps and creams, they all seem to be unaffected by this treatment so It seems the way to go.

Well, at least for me YMMV ;-)

After my shave I close it up and wipe the outside of the container off just to keep everything else from getting all grimmy.

Thanks guys....

Bananhunden....I saw that technique being used by Nick Shaves in one of his videos...

Do you guys have any comments on "Nick Shaves"?

i usually close it up after i finishing making the lather. Not for any reason other than i am the OCD type and have to keep things organized...the world probably won't end if i let it sit till after the shave is over, though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I leave mine on the counter in the bathroom to air dry. I wouldn't put a brush away if it's wet.

For the soap/cream, if it has a container (i.e. tub), I close it and put away. If it doesn't (i.e. Shave stick), I let it air dry. If it's a stick with a container (i.e. Tabac), I close it and put it away.

Last edited:
Thanks guys....

Bananhunden....I saw that technique being used by Nick Shaves in one of his videos...

Do you guys have any comments on "Nick Shaves"?
I really like Nick Shaves videos. His software reviews are pretty informative, and I like that he fast forwards through some stuff so you don't have to.

I leave my soap container open after I shave and when I get home from work I'll re-cap it. I use metal containers and I figure IF they rust, it'll be from the moisture building up. Not sure how true this is, but it keeps my mind at ease. Being around ships for the past 6 years, I've grown to really hate rust.
As far as my brush is concerned I never put it away wet. Usually if I'm going to use a different brush, I'll let the brush dry for a couple days and then put it in the drawer for future use.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If it's a cream or croap I close it after the shave. You don't want those drying.

None of my soaps have lids. blow the dust off and get lathering.

Creams I will close up, as I do not apply mt brush to a container of cream, just scoop/squeeze some out.

Soap containers I will leave open to dry (lunch or after work) depending on my schedule.

I've been using Proraso and Cella lately. I've been rinsing off the extra lather and capping them a bit wet. It could be my imagination but they seem to load easier and faster when I put them away a bit wet like this.

Scott

Creams and croaps definitely want to cover because otherwise they will dry out. Soap I will seal up after I finish my shave if they are in a seal-able container, and soaps in mugs stay uncovered.

I use a few slices of Arko in a bowl. When I finish my shave, the uncovered bowl is returned to my shave shelf.
However, if you're using a shave cream, as others have suggested, use a cover.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Just close it up after shave. A little moisture will never hurt a soap/cream

mswofford

Rest in Peace
1.Tabac: After loading with a wet brush the lid goes back on. (It's not a screw-on).
2.Mug soap: I leave open. If used often, it doesn't dry out very quickly.
3.Cream: Biotique Bio Palmyra has a screw top. I scoop it out with my finger and close it, no brush or water touches it in container.
4. Shave stick: I close it in its screw down container after use.
Depends on the container. I had to add distilled water to the cream before I finished tub even when keeping it covered.
All will dry out uncovered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom