What's new

Could grandpas old straight be repaired?

I recently acquired my grandpas old straight but there is some damage to the cutting edge. I was wondering if it could be saved by honing a new edge that would back past the chip. And if this could be done who would be a good person to do this and about how much would costs be? Thanks
$WP_20140721_001[1].jpg$WP_20140721_002[1].jpg

+1 for both of the above posts. Mycarver does stunning work and while that blade looks repairable, the edge will have to be taken back al the way to the point that the chip disappears, so you'll lose a lot of width.

At the same time, the razor is not usable as is and if you get it fixed up, you will have a very nice heirloom.

I recall seeing elsewhere a restoration for aesthetics only where the chip was filled but the blade would never again be shave-able. Done purely for sentimental display.

I recall seeing elsewhere a restoration for aesthetics only where the chip was filled but the blade would never again be shave-able. Done purely for sentimental display.

Nice scales.
i think Grandpa would be ok if you kept the scales and swapped out for a new blade.

Those are nice ideas for sure. The other one is to make the blade a shorty, cut the top off where the chip is. You'll have a full width then, just a much shorter blade. Definite make the contact though and see what options you come out with. Congrats on the heirloom blade, they are super special to have, even if you don't shave with them.

The way I see this one is to either hone out the chip and give it a go or find a blade that fits, the scale.

I shortie would look horrible unless you shorten the scales as well. You can shorten them from either end if you make a shortie that "short" but will lose the bolster at that end. You will have a horrible looking blade with horrible looking scales that will most likely be a horrible shaver given the edge will likely be 1.5 inches. The end result will have absolutely nothing in common with what used to be your grandfather's razor.

Personally I would hone out the chip and see how it shaves, you will lose about 1/8th or so of the razor width, might also have issues with the bevel riding up the stabilizer after honing out that much blade. if you get those issues then you can take the heel down or get a new blade.

I'm guessing too much razor will be lost, either as a shorty or if the chip is honed out, for a new guy to learn to shave with this razor (if that's relevant).

I would definitely not throw the blade away and only keep the scales - the blade is the razor, and that's what was scraping Grandpa's face clean all those years.

Top Bottom