What's new

sauce for corned silverside

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What sauce do you have with corned silverside?
I always have a mustard sauce but would like to know what you guys like.

Mustard Sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 cup water, from corned beef
1/4 cup vinegar

Beat egg and sugar, add flour, mustard, then stir in liquid gradually.
heat until thick.

$20140721_181048.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Chris, that looks great :drool:

Normally do a parsley sauce to go with mine

Ingredients:

• 25g / 1 oz butter
  • 25g / 1 oz plain flour
  • 1 ½ tsp English mustard (optional)
  • 250 ml / 1 cup milk
  • A good handful flat leaved parsley leaved chopped
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Preparation:

1. In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
  2. Stir in the flour and mustard if using. Stir thoroughly and a thick paste will form but don't worry. Cook gently for a further 2 - 3 minutes.
  3. Gradually stir in the milk. I prefer to use a whisk as I find it easier but a wooden spoon is fine.
  4. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure there are no lumps. The sauce should be quite thick but still a pouring consistency, if too thick add a little more milk. Add the parsley.
  5. Add a good pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper, taste and add more to taste.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Andy. I may try a parsley sauce next time.
I was thinking of trying a mustard horseradish sauce.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
You could put that sauce on a 1955 Ford Edsel front grill plate and it would still
be good.
A alternative is just add a few tablespoons of horseraddish to my first mustard sauce mix.
The mustard sauce is also great with pickled pork. Now that is something I have not had in years.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey Chris, the wife jumped into the kitchen last night and made Salisbury Steak. Although she used ground turkey instead of beef. The taters are new potatoes mashed rough with skins on and mixed with horseradish, garlic and half and half. The sauce included onions garlic, smoked paprika and mushrooms. We grilled the pineapple slices for added flavor. I think I'll keep her.

$photo.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks nice Aaron. she is a keeper for sure......does she have a sister.
love horseradish in mash potatoes. I really should plant some, so I can have it fresh.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Is corned silverside the same as corned beef?
yes it is. We use the beef silverside (also known as Outside or Bottom round) the most for corned beef here in NZ.
I believe other cuts can be used like Brisket.

edit: I had some corned Venison Silverside a few years ago. It was very nice and just shows the process of corning does not need to be from Beef only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom