What's new

What's the best boar brush to try?

For about 1/2 to 1/4 the cost it seems like the Omega is the way to go. Looking like most people are split between the 2 so I'll go cost effective to try it out. Thanks for your help guys. I found the Omega 10049 on Amazon for $11. Done and done!... with the money I save maybe I'll get another mug.... or a soap I haven't tried..... or both :thumbup:

I don't think you will be disappointed. I would caution you to expect a cheap feeling plastic handle, but the knot is wonderful. I have a brush that has the knot extracted from a 10049 and set into a Rudy Vey L7-ish custom handle, and it is out of this world. If you end up knot liking it (see what I did there?) then you're out $11. If you love it and want to, you can always figure something out with the handle.

I face lather and I picked up a semouge 610 last week. It lathers amazingly and it's not even broke in yet. Not prickly like I was expecting.

Do you want to change it to something better?

I don't think you will be disappointed. I would caution you to expect a cheap feeling plastic handle, but the knot is wonderful. I have a brush that has the knot extracted from a 10049 and set into a Rudy Vey L7-ish custom handle, and it is out of this world. If you end up knot liking it (see what I did there?) then you're out $11. If you love it and want to, you can always figure something out with the handle.

I see what you did. Yeah the way I see it is if I did the boar brush I can get a nicer one later. $11 is not a huge investment to try out. Besides what is on here it has great reviews.

Omega 10098 Pro Boar is my go to Boar Brush. The Omega 10049 is a smaller version; also an excellent choice.

I have the Semogue 620, love it. I may try another boar later but so far this beats the other brushes I have tried.

Can't go wrong with any semogue. It's about your preferences at this point. Visual aesthetic aside--for face lathering i'd recommend a 620 and maybe, MAYBE a 1305; for bowl lathering of say a 830. Everything else, quite honestly, has been sort of a variation of those two focal points.

Last edited:
I hear many people recommend the Semogue Owners' Club as a great boar brush. In my experience, though, it is probably my least favorite among my boars, which include a Semogue 830, a Barbear Classico Cerda, a B&B Essentials, (my favorite) an Omega 10005 and a 10049, which has a very cheap handle, but a truly A1 knot. Behind all of those comes my SOC, which I find to be too big, too scratchy, and way too much splay for a boar.

Just my 2¢, though. I may have got an unusually bad SOC and an unusually good 10049, so YMMV.
+100%
The SOC has been my least favourite boar and I absolutely love my 49! I don't think you have any special brushes :laugh:
The 49 has a very cheap handle - but I have a a 20102 in my drawer that will hopefully be the perfect brush - just want to wait until my Semogue 2000 s fully broken in before I start using it...

Omega 10098 Pro Boar is my go to Boar Brush. The Omega 10049 is a smaller version; also an excellent choice.

Smaller version!?!? JAYZUS MAN!! I thought the 10049 was pretty damn big. Granted I only had to this point and I only have 1 brush bigger.... well 2 if you count my power brush.

Hey dudes thanks for the insight and help. I got my 10049 yesterday and after a little "aroma elimination prep work" I used it, and I gotta say I am a believer! Great brush, great value, and the Omega will definitely be in my regular rotation. I don't think I could've gotten a better brush for that price! Truly impressed! Thanks again guys!

I just ordered a Semogue SOC brush today. There is so much good talk about it I just had to try one. Still I hope I'm not disappointed. I now own an Omega 10049 which I really love and I notice a couple of people here said they like their 49 much better than their SOC.
I'll give it a chance to break in and see what happens.

Same for me. My Omega 10098 is absolutely heaven.

I let my girlfriend use it when the knot in her cheap starter brush came out when she was rinsing it, and she's a fan of it, especially when lathering the backs of her legs. She says the handle is perfect for that. It just came in today, and she's wanting to commandeer my large pill bottle I picked up for my Omega 10098 so she can take hers with us when we go on vacation for the week. When are we leaving? Tomorrow morning. That's how much she loves that brush. ;-)

Top Bottom