What's new

Wadsworth Restore?

So I have a few razors I've purchased on the 'Bay and I've been looking at them, scratching my head, generally trying to figure out which one to do first. I think it will be this one, an 11/16 A. W. Wadsworth & Son XLNT. A knife forum had a post where a gent quoted his "Standard" guide as saying "A.W. Wadsworth & Sons c. 1905-1917". This razor has the UGLIEST scales ever, but after having a look it has very little pitting and seems like it might make a good candidate for a first restore. What y'all think?

$IMG_2764.jpg

$IMG_2765.jpg

I just had to get another close-up of that pin. I think it might actually be a nail!

$IMG_2766.jpg

$IMG_2767.jpg

$IMG_2771.jpg

That's a cool looking razor. Blade should clean up nicely and the scales and pins look almost like folk art. Pretty well done for most likely some crude tools. It sure would be interesting to know how that repair came about.

the scales kinda look like paduk or purpleheart to me. if it is purpleheart if you put them in the sunlight for awhile they will turn a beautiful shade of purple

Yeah they're folk art or something. I almost hate to take them off without knowing the whole story. Maybe they've been like this since someone's great-grandfather replaced them. Who knows? If I had to guess, I'd say they are mahogany with some dark shellac. It's hard to see the wear points but where there's bare wood you can see that typica mahogany grain.

So nobody sees any real big issues that I might be missing? I tried to cover all the bases.

Top Bottom