What's new

LASS poor performance

I just got a sample set from LA Shaving Soap. I tried the bay rum version it was not a good experience. Super difficult to lather not very slick and I am wondering if I am not doing something right.

I have a sample of LASS Bay Rum and it lathers quite nicely, as did the Bespoke, Wood Lavender and Fougere. Because of the small size of the sample containers, I put a dollop in the bottom of a bowl and lather from there to my face. Was slick for me. Suggest to keep working at it.

I know it's an agreed YMMV, but in my experience, LASS are very easy to lather and provide a great shave. Mind you, I've only used Woody Lavender and Vanilla/Euculuptus; however, they are both top shelf, IMHO. It seems that small soap samples don't always work well as opposed to the tub/puck. Give it another go. It's worth it if it it works out. Otherwise, there's a rather large selection of soap brands to test.

LASS works fine for me. I have the Woody Lavender. My only complaint is it's priced a little on the high side. I got mine on Buy & Sell and liked it enough that I checked out the website to order a different scent and was kind of surprised at the cost.

Had my first shave today with my tin of LASS Topanga Fougere. Aside from the (now replaced) packaging, the soap itself lathered just fine.
The scent was a mellow fern-y, versus a sharp, citrus fern as in MdC and English Fern. Also the scent did drift quite a bit during the shave.
Overall, a decent shave soap. And reading the ingredients is enlightening, it's pretty unique in listing out the various essential oils and that only essential oils are used.
So, there are higher cost ingredients, which results in higher finished product cost. Perhaps my main gripe was in the flat pancake-like tin that was nearly impossible to pry open, which apparently was replaced a bit ago by a more conventional screw top jar, wise move. I actually ended up transferring mine to a spare jar as well. Anyway, this will be a nice addition to my fougere collection but certainly will not replace MdC or EF (at least the few pucks that i've stashed away).

View attachment 474866

I would recommend pressing the whole sample into the bottom of a bowl and lathering on top of it. It may be a bit wasteful, but each sample should still get you a good 4 or 5 shaves.

so what is the lathering secret?
dunno.
used lot of product.
i loaded brush, lathered a bit in mug, face lathered a lot as part of preshave, then rinsed everything, and re lathered again for the shave, still vigorously face lathering. Adding water as needed. Lather flying all over the place. But that was the fun of it, especially in the gym locker room!

I've had hit or miss lathers with LASS soaps, I can eventually get a decent lather from it but it takes quite a bit of work to get there. My gold standard for ease of lathering it the Tiki vegan products or PSGT. Both of those soaps give my thick stable lather with minimal work. LASS's scents are great though. I like the products that I have, not sure I would rebuy though.

I find it to be one of the easiest soaps to load/lather even with hard water. Slickness and protection are top notch for me. If the soaps came in the tiny sample tubs scoop out a bit of soap with your finger and smear it on the bottom of the bowl and lather it in there. I was so shocked with the performance of LASS that I still have a hard time believing they aren't tallow based.

I've tried the Bay rum and the Bespoke #1 so far and got 14 shaves out of both.

I lathered a few in the container but that didn't work so I just took in out and put it in a empty RR container and lathered on top of the soap I got some good shaves. I have 3 samples left and I'll probably try to get less shaves out of them to make them go quicker. Like someone said above I don't know if I would buy a full tub or not maybe in the future.

Very easy to lather. Try more water first. Just keep adding 6 or eight drops at a time while you lather until you see a change.
If you have exceptionally hard water try using bottled water just to see if it makes a difference.
Usually any lathering problems I've encountered can be resolved by either more water or more soap.

so what is the lathering secret?

Go back and read the posts about transferring your sample to a bowl or jar. Then just lather as your normally do. LASS is one of my "Top 5" soaps.

Had my first shave today with my tin of LASS Topanga Fougere. Aside from the (now replaced) packaging, the soap itself lathered just fine.
The scent was a mellow fern-y, versus a sharp, citrus fern as in MdC and English Fern. Also the scent did drift quite a bit during the shave.
Overall, a decent shave soap. And reading the ingredients is enlightening, it's pretty unique in listing out the various essential oils and that only essential oils are used.
So, there are higher cost ingredients, which results in higher finished product cost. Perhaps my main gripe was in the flat pancake-like tin that was nearly impossible to pry open, which apparently was replaced a bit ago by a more conventional screw top jar, wise move. I actually ended up transferring mine to a spare jar as well. Anyway, this will be a nice addition to my fougere collection but certainly will not replace MdC or EF (at least the few pucks that i've stashed away).

IIRC, LASS was developed by the artisan as an effort to reverse engineer MdC. I followed the thread when he was making the soap and the emphasis was on quality ingredients and in keeping with his vegan lifestyle. I went through 3 tubs of LASS and haven't ordered more as I'm trying to knock down my soap inventory. Great soap for me, but I've yet to try MdC.

Granted, there are plenty of more reasonably-priced soaps out there that explode with lather. I got a couple samples and they worked out pretty well for me once I got the hang of it. I think it's a great company with a good selection of soaps if you're not looking for using animal products (I like my tallow, thank you very much).
I'd say keep working at it, I had the Eucalyptus and Unscented flavors and they were both pretty thirsty soaps. Took me a while to get that down.

nateenaaron I'd recommend doing the following with any new soap;

Shake out the excess water, no squeezing, from your brush and load it until you get a White Root-Beer type head on your brush, apply to a damp face and start building.

Give it a practice lather on your palm, going past the sweet spot of useable lather, slowly keep adding water and continue to lather. Observe how much more water you can add until your lather becomes runny and unusable mess.

Rubbing some lather between your forefinger & thumb while building lather, will give you a feel for slickness. While slowly pulling your fingers apart observe how far the soap "stretches before separating, a good indicator of the hydration level. When your lather is well hydrated, you should be able to remove it from the razor with a few swishes through standing water, if it's too dry you'll have a good amount of soap sticking to the razor head.

If you are trying to load from those tiny containers, I doubt
You are getting enough product. LASS is a decent soap and pretty easy to lather, although I don't think it is as
Good as some of the other MdC like soaps

With the little sample containers you're supposed to scoop out a pea or two sized chunk and smear it on the bottom of a bowl and then lather.

LASS is one of the easier soaps to lather, so I'm guessing you just need a little tweak to your technique.

I had another crappy shave with LASS Woody Lavender. Mine is pressed into an Ikea Guntal container; I loaded for at least a minute but the lather was weak and dry, I dare say C&E Sienna made for a better lather. I had to go back to the tin on my second pass, load again for another minute and add water to get a decent, thick lather.

I made lathers with B&M and Haslinger right after my shave just to verify that I didn't have a problem with technique or execution, and both of those lathered up fine. Sadly my LASS will ultimately end up on the chopping block. Shame, I really liked the scents.

Top Bottom