What's new

Worst nick/cut to date tonight

Just finished my shave, and must admit, that since taking up SR shaving a month or two ago, I've seen almost zero blood. Call it beginners luck, natural born skill (yes, that's definitely it), or something else, but thus far, I've had a great go of it.

Until tonight.

First pass, WTG, on my left side (my weak hand). The tip of the blade hooked into the spot where my ear joins my face. Instantly said "oh s#!t" and looked, only to see the blood starting.

Now, two alum applications later, I'm sitting on my couch, and can feel the blood slowly pooling in the bottom of my ear canal/lobe/notch.

God just smacked me back to being humble.

That is all. If I'm not online tomorrow, assume the worst. :lol:

Ouch! That's a real easy place to cut too, especially if you loose track of the tip. This razors sure have a way of reminding us to pay attention!

If I gash myself it's usually there in the crease and with a square point. Funny thing is I have no beard growth there.

We have all probably done this before. Sharp angles and places where things come together (ear lobes, around noses) are prime real estate for nicks.

I have leaned to let it bleed some before reaching for the styptic. Natural clotting works pretty well.

My beginner's luck lasted a lot less time than yours. I had two nice cuts (one one each cheek) over the past two days.

I have hair that "turns the corner" there and I am always very careful .. still it's a common nick for me.

Don't feel bad about two weeks into straight shaving I got lazy and did a long stroke which happened to cut a nice gash in my right cheek. I now look like one of those pictures of a Prussian military officer with dueling scars.

When I attempted straights my first time, I slashed my cheek really nicely. I thought it might not heal as nicely as it did and leave a scar. But luckliy, it is fine now. Unfortunately, the learning curve for straight shaving includes a few nicks/gashes/scars. I think most folks had the same growing pains while learning the art of straight shaving. Practice, patience, and persistence. Keep it up. I'm headed back for a second time into straights. Just waiting for my razors to be honed. Then, it's on! I'm going to be successful this time and work hard at technique.

That's great that you've not had any other injuries to date. Keep it up! I've nicked that same spot where my ear meets my face a couple times with a DE and a nice sharp Feather blade. Funny how the little nicks/cuts seem to bleed forever.

Cheers!

Dan

For some reason, I nick myself more with DE blades than straights. Maybe it's a focus issue - with a DE, I'm almost in automatic muscle memory mode. With a straight, I'm usually 100% focused on the task at hand. Good luck with the healing.

I'm finding reading this thread VERY interesting! I haven't even bought a straight edge razor yet and I can't imagine what nicks, cuts and bleeders I'll experience. Still, I'm not going to allow a few "oops" moments to keep me from eventually starting shaving with a SE razor. It's something I have to do. It's the next logical thing to do in my wet shaving life.

I'm finding reading this thread VERY interesting! I haven't even bought a straight edge razor yet and I can't imagine what nicks, cuts and bleeders I'll experience. Still, I'm not going to allow a few "oops" moments to keep me from eventually starting shaving with a SE razor. It's something I have to do. It's the next logical thing to do in my wet shaving life.
Alot of us wear them as a badge of honor.

So I had my first straight shave went the whole shave with a few nicks was just about done and the Blade was just closer to my neck then I though and sliced it a Bit put sum meds on it hope it doesn't scar. I was pretty up set with my self

Top Bottom