What's new

Penzance!

Got a bit about a year ago, and really didn't care for it. Some kind soul said to put it in a jar for awhile to let it age. So I did. Broke out the jar last week (mostly trying to empty jars) and WOW! Either it changed or I did! Very, very nice English blend. Tasty, but tends to get strong during the last half of the bowl. Might be tempted to get some again if I were to run across it.

Got a bit about a year ago, and really didn't care for it. Some kind soul said to put it in a jar for awhile to let it age. So I did. Broke out the jar last week (mostly trying to empty jars) and WOW! Either it changed or I did! Very, very nice English blend. Tasty, but tends to get strong during the last half of the bowl. Might be tempted to get some again if I were to run across it.

I wasn't a fan until about 3-4 bowls in... that's when it all clicked and I fell in love.

Could be the aging, could be that your palate has changed. This is a great example to not ditch any 'baccy that you don't like initially. Who knows what can happen?!

The most amazing thing just happened! Two days ago I finished only half a bowl of Penzance because it was getting all gurgly, and set my pipe aside to clean. But I forgot it until tonight, then decided to try to finish it. Amazingly nice smoke! No gurgle, no bitterness; just a nice, mild tobacco taste. Wow! Maybe I should smoke the bowl just halfway through then finish later more often!

The most amazing thing just happened! Two days ago I finished only half a bowl of Penzance because it was getting all gurgly, and set my pipe aside to clean. But I forgot it until tonight, then decided to try to finish it. Amazingly nice smoke! No gurgle, no bitterness; just a nice, mild tobacco taste. Wow! Maybe I should smoke the bowl just halfway through then finish later more often!

I've never done it myself, but the "delayed gratification technique" does have it merits according to some.

Try drying it before filling your pipe. It may be that the Penzance was too moist.

Try drying it before filling your pipe. It may be that the Penzance was too moist.
Thanks! I was wondering about that in the back of my mind, and think you may well be right on. The first half bowl took a number of relights, but the second half (after two days) went after the second light.

Top Bottom