What's new

Advice on London, Paris Rome trip?

My wife and I are planning on visiting London 4 days, Paris 3 days, and Rome 3 days in the middle of September for our first time. We are booking a vacation package through our travel agent. Planning on getting City passes w/travel in each place to cut costs and include in town transportation. What I need your help on is how to make this a great trip. We don't care to relax, we want to see, eat and experience as much as possible. What are your must sees, eats etc. We are very adventurous.

What is the best and cheapest way to get from Heathrow airport to the hotel. I heard Heathrow express to Paddington then short taxi to hotel. We will be taking the Eurostar to Paris and flying to Rome.

Don't hesitate to suggest off the wall places to see and eat.

Also what are some do's and don'ts.

Thanks ahead for all your ideas.

Cheers, Kevin

Might check Fodor and Frommer's travel guides (recent ones). Haven't been to Paris; and was last in London so long ago that I am sure things have changed. Loved London! See the British Museum. Took the "tube" and buses when wasn't walking. Just so much to do for it is a large metropolitan area. Was also quite awhile ago since I was in Rome. Best advice for you is that it is not going to be like London and it is not going to be like being in the States. Lived in Napoli for three years, and I can guarantee you that it is different; very nice, but different. My best advice because of your rather limited time in each place is to plan carefully, and develop an itinerary of what you wish to see. I envy you!!!

For London you'll want: The London Eye, Big Ben, British Museum, National History Museum to name a few. Black cabs here are very expensive, I'd suggest using trains and buses when you can. Anything I've had to do here has always been walking distance from a train or bus stop.

I did the first two parts of that back in 2001. It worked like a charm except that I don't recall needing a taxi to my hotel ( I may have taken the tube). London taxicabs are great. They put the cabs in NYC to shame. Still, I mostly used the public transit when I was there. It is very good. As for eating in Paris, do get a Michelin guide.
What is the best and cheapest way to get from Heathrow airport to the hotel. I heard Heathrow express to Paddington then short taxi to hotel. We will be taking the Eurostar to Paris and flying to Rome.
Cheers, Kevin

I just got back from London, so I can help you out there. The Heathrow express is definitely your least expensive option, from there whether you take a cab or the tube really depends on how far your hotel is.
I highly suggest checking out some of the London Walks tours while you're there. There's something for every interest, and the tour guides are fantastic.
Check out a show or two while you're there as well. The London theatre scene is fantastic. Have fun on your trip!
As for places to eat, there are too many to name, but a Michelin star guide is definitely a good place to start.

Last edited:
If you think you are going to rent a car and drive think again. London is busy but OK about like NYC except on the wrong side of the road, Paris is confusing and lots of crazy drivers, Rome, well forget about it, most car rental agencies do not allow you to take their vehicles to Italy and those that do will charge you an arm and a leg. I have seen better drivers in 3rd world countries than in Italy. As far as public transportation there is a lot of it throughout europe, it is very efficient and cheap by US standards. Crime, especially in the UK more specifically London, is much higher than in the US.

The only time I was in UK I went to where my family is from hundreds of years ago the city of Renfrew in Scotland, took a guided tours out of London of the site of the battle of Bannockburn, Stonehenge, a tour of Arthurian Legends (major waste of time) and saw a play (Julius Caesar) at the globe theater. I also stayed in London 1 day to see Big Ben, the London Bridge (which has been replaced and looks like any other bridge) and the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Paris there is quite a bit more to do. I really enjoyed the Eiffel tower
and the Arc de Triomphe even though I didn't think I would. I also liked the Louvre. I went to the 60th anniversary of D day in 2004 in Normandy and I would highly recommend making the trip.

There is even more to do in Rome than in Paris, especially if you like history. You could easily spend a week in Rome and not see everything. The Vatican (even if you are not catholic) is well worth a visit and it is an all day affair, I highly recommend reserving a tour on the Scavi (excavations under St Peters Basilica) well ahead of your planned visit. Be sure to take your passport, as the Vatican is it's own country. I took a side trip up to Naples to see Mt Vesuvius Pompeii and Herculaneum, and a trip to see the leaning tower of Pisa. Both were well worth the trip. I do recommend taking guided tours.

Also if you have time you might consider a trip to Germany, there are literally tons of things to do in Germany.

One thing I just remembered when I saw the good suggestion to visit the Vatican, and that is not to wear shorts. I did see people turned away from St. Peter's for inappropriate dress (shorts). Except for Americans and an occasional Brit on holiday, don't think I saw anyone in Europe in shorts except in the swimming pool.

Well, certainly you will enjoy the shave district around Picadilly Circus and Jermyn St in London. Even the Mrs. will have fun browsing in Fortnum and Mason dept store.

I'll start with Rome. Unless you positively absolutely HAVE to see the Michelangelo Sistine Chapel, skip the Vatican. There are long lines for entrance to the Basilica, and longer, separate lines for the Vatican Museums, including the Sistine. It'll pretty much eat up a day, much of it spent in line or shuffling along in a crowd. Go next time.

Do walk up to the Capitoline. The Square (Michelangelo) is beautiful. Visit the Capitoline museum, both sides of the Square. Great art, not overwhelming, fabulous views. Behind the Capitol is the best view of the Forum and the Colosseum; again, unless you adore ruins, this is as close as I would get.

Go visit the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj (look for the Velazquez.) Track down all the Caravaggios you can find. Look at the mosaics in S. Maria Maggiore.

Mainly, stroll around, with lots of caffe and gelato stops.

My favorite city ever. Have fun.

I know London and Paris reasonably well but sadly, I have spent much more time in London on business than as a tourist. Grab a guide book (or a map of each city), plan the sites you wish to see and try to cover most of the ground on foot. There is something interesting at every turn and I only retreat to the Tube/Metro when the weather turns horrid or I am foot-sore.

There is an abundance of good food (as well as a sea of mediocrity) in most large cities and these three are no exceptions. If you walk into a restaurant and it is full of tourists, go straight back out the door.

The one exception I would make, however, is Le Train Bleu in Gare de Lyon in Paris. It is a magnificent old hall and closed for renovations shortly after I was there in May. If it is open again before your trip, try to pop in for lunch.

One suggestion I'd make in Paris is to visit Sainte Chapelle, across Ile de la Cite from Notre Dame (which I assume is on your itenerary). They used to have very reasonably priced classical/chamber music concerts there at sundown. It's a really nice way to relax after a day of rushing around, and the stained glass windows are spectacular.

Top Bottom