What's new

Building boxes?

I need to make some boxes for some stones.
Anybody wanna show off their handiwork and give quick explanations of how they did it? Not a master trim carpenter here, so open to any and all ideas especially the "easy, idiot proof" ones.
One stone I got recently had a box made by drilling out a block of wood and chiseling (maybe?) out the rest.
I have some mahogany veneer about 3/16" thick that might be a good material, but don't know anything about construction techniques with it.

If I could make wood boxes that fit well I'd be a happier camper.
I have this idea about using plywood from the craft store and some sort of ply/balsa strips cut to length and glued down to make the 'bed' for the stone - then a similar operation for the top.
I have to get to Michael's I think I saw everything I need there. It's just another project I can't get to.
Thing is - I have a new and very special stone that I reeeeeeeeeallllly want to get into a nice box of some sort.

Get some 1 x 2 and 1 x 4. Cut to size, no need to miter the joints and butt them and screw them together. Most of my stones Ive made boxes for.

I guess it depends on what your available tools are.

If you want "easy" you can get some either square trim pieces or lath and glue them down on a piece of thin plywood. Something like this:

But Joints (simplest)
$Box1.png

Miter Joints
$Box2.png

These would be the sort of boxes you could make from wandering around the home improvement store and finding wood that was "almost right." The top would be a piece that was the same size as the bottom and the hinges could be as easy as a couple pieces of leather.

A more correct way would be to form a rabbet in the sides into which you slide the base:

Rabbet Sides
$Box3.png

The ends would be mitered and a rabbet in those as well to complete the channel. Then the top would be a mirror image if a little shorter. Have a look at your cabinet or dresser drawers, these are likely constructed similarly.

The strongest, and one that I envision would be used by a "Japanese Master" would be some form of dovetail:

Dovetail Joint
$Box4.png

.. although since you are asking this is likely beyond what you are looking to do. :)

If you are really just looking for something cheap and quick but will protect your rocks, go walk through the aisles of Harbor Freight or something similar. I have purchased a number of less expensive bits for instance that came in fairly decent boxes.

I guess it depends on what your available tools are.

If you want "easy" you can get some either square trim pieces or lath and glue them down on a piece of thin plywood. Something like this:

But Joints (simplest)
View attachment 474755

This looks like about as complicated as I can expect to do. :blush:
Would it be stronger (for the corner joints) to have the bottom the same size as the stone and the side pieces therefore "taller" with more surface area at the mating points?

This looks like about as complicated as I can expect to do. :blush:
Would it be stronger (for the corner joints) to have the bottom the same size as the stone and the side pieces therefore "taller" with more surface area at the mating points?
1 by screwed is incredibly strong. It will not break easily. Only thing is predrill or the screws may split the 1 xs or the edge of the wood. I used nothing more than a chopsaw for all the cutting. Dont make it too snug. I have room for them. You can always put a self gluing rubber foot inside i your worried about them sliding or bumping. Not necessary IMO. But have fun and do it however you want.

Last edited:
1 by screwed is incredibly strong. It will not break easily. Only thing is predrill or the screws may split the 1 xs or the edge of the wood. I used nothing more than a chopsaw for all the cutting. Dont make it too snug. I have room for them. You can always put a self gluing rubber foot inside i your worried about them sliding or bumping. Not necessary IMO. But have fun and do it however you want.

Do you have any pics handy?

$box1.jpg

$box3.jpg
Here you go. All cut with a chop saw. You could if you want, sand the corners, etc to doll it up. Im just looking to protect them but you can really do some nice things if you have the time. Good luck!

Last edited:
Buca's shows thicker wood as the base and cross-screws holding it in. That's fine too and if you can't find or cut smaller pieces of plywood that's a good way to go about it. If you do use plywood on the bottom, glued and screwed is pretty damned secure laying flat against the bottom of the side pieces. If you get a cheap set of countersinks you can use wood screws and make them plush all the way around (keeps them from sitting higher than the wood as in that pic):

$image_17950.jpg
Throw in one of these and assuming you have a drill you are all done for < $20 in tools:

$image_16352.jpg

I keep thinking I'll find something that I can repurpose. A cool box of some sort. So far no go though.

I keep several of my stones in a Craftsman chest. Then I have a wooden bureau for the the Nagura and stones that that don't fit in the metal Craftsman chest. Space is at a premium so I don't want all of them in wood boxes but I'd like to get one or two into nicer looking presentation type boxes. Something along the lines of what Ardennes uses but nicer.

The 'blueprint' above for the but-joint box is what I had in mind but I think it'll come out looking like a hodgepodge.
This one stone deserves a box better than I can make I think.

$ammo.jpgLast idea is cheaper than dirt sells plastic trays for sorting ammo or screws etc that fit perfect into a 50 cal ammo box. You can stack 3 of these organizers in there and the tabs are removable IIRC so there you have three. Its air tight but you could drill some holes so they breathe. And the 50 cal box is strong although you will draw suspicious stares! Lol. Hers a similar setup, ypu can break the tabs to fit and use some wood or foam. It all depends on the size of the stones so measure and check dimensions.

Last edited:
I have one of those and it's very easy to do if you have access to a drill press and Forstner bits. Great for odd-shaped pieces in particular.

Those boxes are really nice when they're clean - even if they are a bit bulky. You can see the forstner bit marks in the cutouts.

Yeah, I like the overlapping look that the Forstner bit leaves behind as a kind of decorative element. Might try that with those Thuri bouts I picked up, varying the depth as needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom