What's new

Building boxes?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Ok guys how bout epoxy resin with a hardener, like that liquid steel. (I may be using the wrong term now) Mix it up, put in a mold, stick the stone in (maybe a shot of silicone spray so it dont stick) and remove, let dry. Instant custom box exactly to the stone?

you might try 2 part expanding foam , put your rock face down, put a piece of plastic rap over it, put a perimeter box around it. pour in the foam let dry, trim extra off put on lid and bottom.

Man must not play god.

I've got a lot of table-tops that are glued-up in a similar fashion, does that apply there too? ;-) Turning it from end to end while honing helps keep things kosher in my book, following the law of averages. Think of it as a primary synth stone made up of two giant, elongated abrasive particles with an artificial binder in between, if you like.

That's pretty sweet Alum. I never thought of that, but it's a really good idea.

Thanks for the appreciation. Please note that with the second box, I went back to my standard practice of using some strapping tape to create the initial structure, followed by the masking tape. Don't know why, but this makes it sturdier. I'll probably go back and do the same with the first box, so that the small strapping tape pieces are taking the brunt of the structural stress, rather than the masking tape alone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'd probably have better control with CA than the specialty hot glue. Not sure how strong those butt joints would be with it though.

Here's one I made for my Tam O' Shanter (two 1" x 5" pieces glued together with Gorilla glue then lapped). The label is not in contact with the tape. I made a non-sticking enveloped area for it with three layers of packing tape. In the past, I've made box-cameras with foam-core and the pH neutral black masking tape. Some of these are fourteen-fifteen years old and the tape is still holding.

View attachment 491219

View attachment 491220

If the ladies don't find you handsome at they'll find you handy...:lol:

you might try 2 part expanding foam , put your rock face down, put a piece of plastic rap over it, put a perimeter box around it. pour in the foam let dry, trim extra off put on lid and bottom.

I can't be within a mile of expanding foam without it getting on everything around me. If its the same stuff in the can it sticks better than super glue.

BTW: I think this thread is a perfect example of why no one should ever be afraid to ask any question here. I almost did not post such a "simple" question.
Thank you all.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here's the box I posted last week after two coats of stain and 3 coats of tung oil. Pics don't do it justice. It's very shiny and smooth as glass.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 99
The contents are in another thread, but the wife just came home with this and said "didn't you need a box for your rocks?" Pretty sure I'm going to have to keep her.

$photo (4).jpg

Last edited:
Ever since I saw this thread I've wanted to try this ... I still have not cleared a spot in the garage to drag out the table saw but the box SWMBO brought home let me give this a go:

$photo (6).jpg

Should be cool with some sort of sealer over it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom